All rights reserved by Marek Kirs        

Research Assistantships

If you are interested in research on environmental microbiology and public health, we are currently seeking enthusiastic graduate students and a postdoc to help with two projects: “Microbial Water Quality Indicators and Associated Health Risk in Hawaii’s Recreational Waters”. The project examines new and existing microbial water quality indicator and selected enteric pathogen concentrations in Hawaii watersheds to determine the relationship between the indicator bacteria densities and potential health effects. The findings of this study could be used to develop meaningful protective water quality standards for recreational waters in Hawaii and broader areas of the tropics. A strong interest in microbiological water quality research is required. Experience in: cultivating bacteria and phages, qPCR and RT-qPCR, and statistical analyses, including QMRA, would be helpful. This project is ideally suited for a graduate student seeking a PhD degree. Initially, a one-year research assistantship available. “Groundwater microbes as indicators of bioremediation efforts and ecosystem recovery” This project examines the structural and functional diversity of microbial communities inhabiting our aquifers using high-throughput sequencing techniques. The goal is to evaluate the temporal and spatial variability of our groundwater microbiomes and determine the underlying factors. A strong interest in and dedication to environmental microbiology research is a must. Experience in analyzing amplicon and/or metagenomic sequence data is required. This project is ideally suited for a postdoctoral student or a graduate student. Postdoctoral student might be able to work on both listed projects. Initially, a one-year research assistantship or postdoctoral stipend is available. ----------------------- All research assistantships for graduate students require acceptance to the graduate program in Microbiology at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. Graduate programs in other academic units at the University of Hawaii at Manoa may be alternative options. -----------------------

Teaching Assistanships

WRRC does not have a graduate program, but opportunities exists with other graduate departments at the University of Hawaii such as Department of Microbiology, Civil and Environmental Engineering, and probaly others.


Currently none.


Fulbright Graduate Research Fellowship Program (NSF) Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship (NSF) EAR Postdoctoral Fellowships (NSF) Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) -  summer internships The Brazil Scientific Mobility Program (BSMP)  -summer internships, Brazil only We work with middle, high school, undergaduate, and graduate students who have strong interest in microbiological research. Volunteering or paid options may be available. Please contact Dr. Marek Kirs (  


Kirs Lab