Hawaii Department of Economics
Associate Professor (Curriculum Vitae)
2424 Maile Way SSB 527
Honolulu, HI 96822
Tel: (808) 956-7721
After finishing Ph.D. degree in
Economics from the Ohio State University in
June 2001, I joined University of Hawaii at
Manoa, Department of Economics
as an assistant professor. I am an associate professor since 2008.
My major research interests include
macroeconomics, applied econometrics, and China's economic development. Currently I am
also affiliated with the UHM Center for Chinese Studies (CSS) and serve on the Executive Board (2007 - 2010; 2014-).
Recent Journal Publications
- "Discontinuity of Output Convergence within the U.S.: Why Has the Course Changed." (with Chi-Young Choi), forthcoming in Economic Inquiry. Abstract early view available at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ecin.12129/abstract
- "Access to College and Heterogeneous Returns to Education in China." (with Belton M. Fleisher, Haizheng Li, and Shi Li), Economics of Education Review 42, October 2014: 78-92.
- "Human Capital in China, 1985-2008." (with Haizheng Li, Yunling Liang, Barbara Fraumeni, and Zhiqiang Liu), Review of Income and Wealth 59, issue 2, June 2013: 212-234.
- "Is the Price Elasticity of Money Demand Always Unity?" (with Paul D. Evans), Economic Inquiry 46, issue 4, October 2008: 587-592.
- "A Tale of Two Effects." (with Paul D. Evans), Review of Economics and Statistics 90, issue 1, February 2008: 147-157.
- "Return to Skills and the Speed of
Reforms: Evidence from Central and Eastern Europe, China, and Russia."
(with Belton Fleisher and Klara Sabrianova), Journal of Comparative Economics 33, issue 2, June 2005: 351-370.
- "Return to Education in China under
Planning and Reform." (with Belton Fleisher), Journal of Comparative Economics 33, issue 2, June 2005: 265-277.
- "Skill Differentials, Return to
Schooling, and Market Segmentation in a Transition Economy: The Case of
Mainland China." (with Belton Fleisher), Journal of Development
Economics 73, February 2004: 315-328.
- "Potential Residual and Relative Wages
in Chinese Township and Village Enterprises." (with Belton Fleisher), Journal
of Comparative Economics 31, issue 3, September 2003: 429-443.
- "Efficiency Wages and Work Incentives
in Urban and Rural China." (with Belton Fleisher), Journal of
Comparative Economics 29, issue 4, December 2001: 645-662.
- Nutrition Intake and Economic Growth:
Studies on the Cost of Hunger. (with Kiyoshi Taniguchi), Food and
Agriculture Organization, United Nations. Rome, Italy. November 2003.