I love hanging around in cafés. I thought I would share this guide for visitors since I am asked for suggestions for time to time.
Honolulu cafes are dominated by Starbucks which close by midnight or even 11 PM. A newwer California chain, Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf has several locations in Oahu. Unlike Starbucks, they allow one hour of free wifi (but using an annoying system). It also is a chain, but has great tea (Hot and varieties like Assam Tea) and good service. There still are a few independent spots in town. I've arranged them by rough region:
Near Campus (University of Hawaii)
- Glazers Artisan Coffee (2700 S. King St.) 391-6548 (Coffee and espresso experts, Good tea, nice place, free wifi!!)
- Coffeeline (1820 University Ave.): 778-7909 is in the YMCA building near campus. Very unique place!!
- CAFE 2600 (2600 S. King St.): 949-2400
- Sure Shot Café (1249 Wilder Ave.): 523-2326
- Coffee or Tea Inc. (1960 Kapiolani Blvd., near Waikiki Canal in the McCully Mall): 942-4357 (Bubble Tea and other options)
- Pacific Place Tea Garden Café (Ala Moana) Tel: 946-0205 (also makes great tea!)
- Satura Cakes (Ward Centre), 1200 Ala Moana Blvd.
Tel: 537-1206 ("Japanese style" cakes, free wifi, has other locations)
- ING DIRET Cafe (1958 Kalakua Ave.) 955-1435
- Honolulu Coffee Co. (2265 Kalakua Ave.) 533-1500 in the Moana Surfrider Hotel. A local chain with other locations.
- Coffee Talk (3601 Waialae Ave., Kaimuki): 737-7444 (free wireless / computers by the hour)
- Café Laufer (3565 Waialae Ave., Kaimuki): 735-7717
Elsewhere in Town
- Fresh Cafe (831 Queen St.) is a cool somehwat hidden independent cafe / restaurant that is open late and has poetry readings, classical music, and other gigs.
- Manifest (32 N. Hotel St., Chinatown) is a cool independent cafe / bar with free wifi.
Beyond Town (Haleiwa - North Shore)
- Haleiwa: Coffee Gallery (66-250 Kamehameha Hwy. : 637-9206) (Free wireless, relaxing place, Great Coffee)
-- Last Updated: June 2010.