ASSOCIATION OF HAWAII ARCHIVISTS
Board Meeting, 8 December 2008
Present: Andrew Wertheimer, Rae Shiraki, Susan Shaner, Matthew Yim, Barbara Dunn, Maja Clark, Judith Kearney; Additional Attendees: Whitney Ross
Andrew called the meeting to order at 5:08 p.m. Minutes of March 17 meeting were approved by Susan Shaner, seconded by Barbara Dunn.
Treasurer Laura Gerwitz reported in absentia (by e-mail distributed December 8, 2008) of a $4,952.31 account balance as of November 30, 2008. (Status of year-end accounting $480 discrepancy noted in March minutes not included in report).
Minor edits to current newsletter draft discussed. Final editing was delegated to Barbara Dunn as Judith Kearney had not yet arrived.
No annual dinner this year. Agnes C. Conrad Award to be awarded at annual conference if there is a recipient. Nominees to be discussed at the next meeting..
AHA Annual Conference
Date: Saturday, March 21, 2009
Location: Hawaii State Archives (HSA)
- 8:30 - 9:00 a.m. registration
- Maja Clark on meeting institutional and student needs - matchmaking in lean times; survey to be distributed
- Whitney Ross on how to research and select open source software drawing from example of HSA’s upcoming conversion from Voyager to KOA; tentative title: “How can I do this another way?”
- Presentation: “Voices of Statehood” – Waianae High School student-produced shorts commemorating 50th Anniversary of Statehood initiative
- Kippen Chu, chairman, 50th Anniversary of Statehood commission on associated activities and events
- 12 – 1:30 p.m. - HISAM lunch (pre-ordered)
- 1:30 – 1:45 p.m. – AHA business meeting
- 1:45 – 2:30 p.m. - Matthew Yim and LIS student Kim Okara on how to plan a digital project – highlighting state and federal parameters (drawing from current grant writing experience for Bishop Museum)
Conference topic discussion was based on a review of:
(1) ideas from a preliminary meeting between Andrew, Susan and Whitney (as itemized in December 8 meeting agenda)
(2) SOLINET’s “Digital Directions: Fundamentals of Creating and Managing Digital Collections” conference (held June 10–12, 2008 in Jacksonville, Florida) conference flyer distributed by Susan
- Susan to contact Kippen Chu to invite as guest presenter and for contact information for Voices of Statehood
- Whitney to check on lunch details with HISAM lunch
- Whitney, Maja and Matthew to develop respective presentations
AHA Board Elections
- Nominations must go out 30 days in advance of election
- Nominations committee must constitute immediate past president – Helen Wong Smith & 1 or more directors whose term expires at end of current term – Barbara Dunn and Laura Gerwitz selected
- Will need a new treasurer (to be selected immediately following election)
- Board members up for re-election to be confirmed (discussion mentioned Susan Shaner, Andrew Wertheimer, and Judith Kearney as eligible for re-election)
Maja Clark, Secretary
Next Meeting: Wednesday, January 28, 2008, 5:00 pm, HSA.