AHA Board Minutes, July 27, 2004

 

Present: Jim Cartwright, Ellen Chapman, Judy Kearney, Pat Ogburn, Leilani Pyle, Linda Soma, Andrew Wertheimer, Helen Wong-Smith Jim called the meeting to order at 5:32.

 

Minutes of the June meeting were approved as corrected.

 

COMMUNICATIONS: Linda maintains the listserv. Jim has the membership list.

Helen will check membership status for several people we're not sure about. We discussed email vs. hard copy for newsletters and other messages, especially since sometimes email is "lost in the crowd" and some members do not have email. The decision was to send every communication in hard copy, keeping track of expenses and any problems that develop.

 

SUMMER SOCIAL-REVIEW: There were about 12 people at the Social and reports are that everyone enjoyed it.  Ellen will send thank-you cards to Mary and Bonnie. Jim and Pat will write an article about the Social for the next newsletter. We speculated that the turnout was low partially because notification was largely via email. We will leave a recommendation for the new board to review the idea of holding a Summer Social, considering whether or not anything about it or the publicity for it needs to be

changed.

 

SEPTEMBER PROFESSIONAL MEETING: We discussed possible venues for Nancy

Zimmelman's presentation Sept. 11 and decided it will be held in the UHM Library's Archives Reading Room. Helen will send invitations to members and to the local chapter of SLA  for the entire program, including the Sept. 10 dinner ($30 each).

 

BY-LAWS Jim and Judy distributed the existing by-laws and their proposed revisions for Sections 4, 6, 7, 8, and 11. Board members should review and think about the revisions for discussion at the September meeting. Any changes the Board recommends will be distributed to all members one month before they will be asked to vote on them.

 

RELIGIOUS ARCHIVES: Jim asked the Board to support his plan to approach small religious congregations on O'ahu with no national or regional headquarters. He would recommend that they form a consortium to support each other in dealing with their archives since it is unlikely they would be able to do very much individually. This is a personal initiative and would not involve AHA. The Board approved the plan and asked Jim to let us

know how it develops. Jim asked us to suggest congregations that would be

appropriate to consider.

 

ANNUAL CONFERENCE: Helen will send forms for conference registration and hotel reservations with a cover letter to all members. Andrew reported that he put out a call for a library school student to make a presentation at the meeting, but received only one response. We decided to shelve the idea for this year.

 

NEXT MEETING: Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2004, 5:30pm, UHM Library, Archives

Reading Room

 

The meeting was adjourned at 6:15.

 

We reconvened shortly thereafter at Volcano Joe's for a delightful dinner.