Technology in the Library
The UHWO Library makes available a wide variety of useful software applications for our patrons to use on our 48 computers. Application types range from general productivity software (e.g. word-processing and spreadsheet software) to very specialized multimedia content creation and editing packages, as well as accessibility software for our patrons.
Please click below to jump to the descriptions of all of the software and hardware available at the library.
- Operating System: Windows 7
- Desktop Publishing: Microsoft Office 2010 is installed on all computers except Info Commons 45 & 47
- Access 2010: Microsoft's database management system that allows users to create tables, queries, forms and reports, as well as easily incorporate data from other sources such as Excel 2010 and Word 2010.
- Excel 2010: Microsoft's premier spreadsheet program that allows users to enter and manipulate data in cells to perform calculations and easily display data in charts.
- InfoPath Designer 2010: A program that allows users to create forms for collecting information.
- InfoPath Filler 2010: A program that allows users to fill out forms created in InfoPath Designer 2010.
- OneNote 2010: Microsoft's note taking software that allows users to create, gather, collect, and organize notes in a variety of formats (handwritten or typed), drawings, screen clippings and audio commentaries.
- PowerPoint 2010: Microsoft's presentation program that allows users to create slides and transitions for display on a computer.
- Publisher 2010: Microsoft's desktop publishing software that differs from Word 2010 in that it focuses on page layout rather than text composite.
- SharePoint Workspace 2010: Microsoft's desktop application designed for document collaboration in teams with members who are regularly off-line or who do not share the same network security clearance.
- Word 2010: Microsoft's word processing software that allows users to create professional-quality documents quickly and easily.
- Internet Browsers: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Chrome
- UHWO Library offers the four most popular Internet browsers which are all set to run in incognito or private mode so that user privacy is preserved once the browser is closed.
- Other Applications/Add-ons
- Adobe Reader: A free software that can be used to open and view standard Portable Document Format (PDF).
- Aleks: Assessment and LEarning in Knowledge Spaces is a web-based, artificially intelligent assessment and learning system.
- Flash: Adobe Flash is a multimedia program that allows varying web graphics to be viewed, played, and executed on whatever system it is installed on.
- Google Earth: Google's virtual globe, map and geographical information program that can render the surface of the Earth and includes 3D images of terrain and buildings.
- Hawaiian Font: All computers come equipped with proper Hawaiian Unicode fonts for kahakō and ʻokina.
- Java: A set of several computer software products and specifications that allows applications and Java enabled websites that to work.
- PH Stat 2: This is an add-in system for Microsoft Excel that allows the users to focus on mastering statistics rather than knowing how to use every aspect of Microsoft Excel.
- PSPP: A free alternative to IBM's SPSS Statistics program that allows users to analyze sampled data.
- Quicktime: Quicktime is a media player developed by Apple that allows plaback of multiple music and video formats.
- Real Player: A media player that allows playback of multiple music and video formats.
- VLC Player: A media player that allows playback of many audio and video formats.
The UHWO Library gives visually and/or hearing impaired patrons priority access to accessibility software on two computer stations.
These computers are:
- Info Commons 13 (first floor) has the software ZoomText, JAWS, Kurzweil 3000 as well as a large print keyboard and a high-speed document scanner.
- Info Commons 48 (second floor) has ZoomText, JAWS and a large print keyboard.
The software that is available within the library:
- ZoomText is a screen magnifier software developed for visually impaired people that allows users to see and hear everything on the computer screen.
- JAWS (Job Access With Speech) is a screen reader program that allows blind or visually impaired people to read the screen by using a text-to-speech output.
- Kurzweil 3000 is a reading and writing software designed to assist people who are blind, partially sighted, or who have learning disabilities like dyslexia and attention deficit disorders.
Available on Info Commons 01-03 (first floor), Info Commons 25-36 (second floor)
- Adobe Photoshop CS6 is an image and photo editing software that allows users to, among other things, manipulate, crop, resize and correct color on digital images.
- Adobe Illustrator CS6 is a vector graphics editor similar to Photoshop.
- Adobe InDesign CS6 is a desktop publishing software similar to MS Publisher but much more extensive. Users can create posters, flyers, brochures, magazines, newspapers and books and easily incorporate materials from other Adobe products.
- Adobe Dreamweaver is a web design platform that provides a design view option for editing code as well as a host of other options to make web development easier.
- Adobe Flash Professional CS6 is a multimedia authoring program used to create content such as web applications, games and movies.
- Adobe Fireworks CS6 is a bitmap and vector graphics editor similar to Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Adobe Acrobat Pro is an editor that allows users to view, create, print, and manipulate PDF files.
- Adobe Bridge CS6 is a robust file explorer that works closely with Adobe products like Photoshop.
- Adobe Media Encoder CS6 is a program that allows users to create optimized video for any screen size and resolution.
Info Commons computers 45 & 47 have access to the following sofware:
- MyITLab: An online assessment and training platform for Microsoft Office Applications and computer concepts.
- Desktop Publishing: Microsoft Office 2013
- Access 2013: Microsoft's database management system that allows users to create tables, queries, forms and reports, as well as easily incorporate data from other sources such as Excel 2013 and Word 2013.
- Excel 2013: Microsoft's premier spreadsheet program that allows users to enter and manipulate data in cells to perform calculations and easily display data in charts.
- InfoPath Designer 2013: A program that allows users to create forms for collecting information.
- InfoPath Filler 2013: A program that allows users to fill out forms created in InfoPath Designer 2013.
- Lync: A communication tool that combines instant messaging, VOIP, and video conferencing software.
- OneDrive for Business: A cloud software comparable to Google Drive that allows users to share and edit a variety of MS Office documents.
- OneNote 2013: Microsoft's note taking software that allows users to create, gather, collect, and organize notes in a variety of formats (handwritten or typed), drawings, screen clippings and audio commentaries.
- Outlook 2013: The latest version of Microsoft's email program that is closely integrated with other MS Office 2013 products.
- PowerPoint 2013: Microsoft's presentation program that allows users to create slides and transitions for display on a computer.
- Publisher 2013: Microsoft's desktop publishing software that differs from Word 2013 in that it focuses on page layout rather than text composite.
- Word 2013: Microsoft's word processing software that allows users to create professional-quality documents quickly and easily.
Info Commons computers 37-43 have the MyMathLab program access for student use.
All Info Commons computers can print to the three pay-for-print copiers in the library. Info Copier 01 and Info Copier 02 are located on the first floor and Info Copier 03 is located on the second floor.
Scanning software is available at two computer stations in the library: Info Commons 13 and Info Commons 26. Users have the option of scanning materials to PDF or a variety of other image options like JPG, and TIFF.
All Info Commons computers have the program free statistics program PSPP available for use. In addition, Info Commons 5-9 and 10-11 has the following software:
- SPSS 20 is a popular software package used for statistical analysis.