Print, complete, and sign this form to use copyrighted materials in your online classes. All items must be checked to assure compliance with the The Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization Act of 2002 (TEACH Act).
_____ This item is owned by the UH West O‘ahu Library or by me. (Originals only. No copies or borrowed copies.)
_____ This request is being made at least 14 days before the material is to be shown to my class.
Note: If these initial conditions are not met, do not complete or submit the rest of the form.
_____ My institution is a nonprofit accredited educational institution or a governmental agency.
_____ It has a policy on the use of copyrighted materials. ( UH Copyright Guidelines )
_____ It provides accurate information to faculty, students, and staff about copyright. ( UH Copyright Guidelines )
_____ Its systems will not interfere with technological controls within the materials I want to use.
_____ The materials I want to use are specifically for students in my class.
_____ Only those students will have access to the materials.
_____ The materials will be provided at my direction during the relevant lesson.
_____ The materials are directly related and of material assistance to my teaching content.
_____ My class is part of the regular offerings of my institution.
_____ I will include a notice that the materials are protected by copyright.
_____ I will use technology that reasonably limits the students' ability to retain or further distribute the materials.
_____ I will make the materials available to the students only for a period of time that is relevant to the context of a class session.
_____ I will store the materials on a secure server and transmit them only as permitted by this law.
_____ I will not make any copies other than the one I need to make the transmission.
_____ The materials are of the proper type and amount the law authorizes:
_____ The materials are not among those the law specifically excludes from its coverage:
- Entire performances of nondramatic literary and musical works
- Reasonable and limited parts of a dramatic literary, musical, or audiovisual works
- Displays of other works, such as images, in amounts similar to typical displays in face-to-face teaching
_____ If I am using an analog original, I checked before digitizing it to be sure:
- Materials specifically marketed for classroom use for digital distance education
- Copies I know or should know are illegal
- Textbooks, course packs, electronic reserves and similar materials typically purchased individually by the students for independent review outside the classroom or class session
Description of item you want copied or digitized for online viewing:
- I copied only the amount that I am authorized to transmit.
- There is no digital copy of the work available except with technological protections that prevent my using it for the class in the way the statute authorizes.
Date published or created:
Copyright notice on the item:
Course name and number:
Date you want the item available online (Note: We will make the item available online for one week once a semester. No repeats.):
Print and then sign your name:
Last revised May 15, 2006.