OHE March 12, 1998 (c)

Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 17:22:01 -1000
From: ALEX H OKIHARA (OKIHARA@prodigy.net>
Subject: Kalauao


This is the first time for me to post anything here, so I hope everything comes out okay...

Date:  Thursday, March 5, 1998
Hike:  Kalauao
Party: Wayne Shibata, Alex Okihara
Weather:  Sunny with some clouds
Time Started:  3:50 PM
Time Finished:  6:16 PM
Round trip duration: 2 hours, 26 minutes
Time to Waterfall:  about 1 hour

The Story:

If you've got an itch, you've got to scratch it, and today, I was itching to go on a hike. I just couldn't wait until the weekend. So after finishing work at 3:15 PM, Wayne and I headed out to Keaiwa Heiau State Recreation Area (open 7:00 AM until 6:45 PM) in search of the Aiea Loop Trail which leads to a waterfall along the Kalauao Stream. The directions, as given by Stuart Ball, are pretty straightforward.

At 3:50 PM, we started our hike onto the Aiea Loop Trail. The initial part of the hike, before reaching the mango tree at the junction (point C in Ball's book), is pretty mellow and fairly level with an occasional gradual climb or dip.

While walking through one of the long stretches of strawberry guava, I accidentally swallowed a tiny moth while talking to Wayne. There were many moth-like bugs flying in the forest, and I guess it was just a matter of time before one decided to fly into my mouth. I had to take a short break to wash the little bugger down with some water.

After a little while further, we reached the mango tree. After turning right onto the narrow trail, the hike descended very steeply.

At the bottom, we found a dry stream bed. We continued upstream. Along the way, there were several pools of stagnant water. Inside the pools were the hugest prawns that I've ever seen. In the first pool that we encountered, there must have been over 15 huge prawns dashing around, searching for a good hiding place from us humans.

After an hour, we reached the very dry waterfall and the swimming hole. It was very nice and peaceful, but there were many mosquitoes buzzing about. I tried not to eat another insect.

It was getting late, and we didn't want to be locked in (since the park closes at 6:45 PM), so we started to head back after 10 minutes of cruising at the dry waterfall.

The climb back up was pretty killer. It was very steep, and seemed much more longer going up than it was coming down. What a workout!

At 6:16 PM, we arrived back at my car, promising ourselves to return one day after a heavy rain.

Notes: The views on this trail are mostly obscured by the tall trees on the ridge. There are many cool looking trees along the way: knotted pine, paper trees, etc.

Return to OHE top | Return to Oahu Hike Tales | Email Dayle