OHE July 1, 1998 (c)

Date:	Tue, 7 Jul 1998 15:57:43 -1000
From:	Patrick Rorie (prorie@hekili.k12.hi.us>
Subject: Kalalau Service Trip - Day 3

Slept warm and snug inside my mummy liner and arose from my tent on Sunday morning sometime between 7 and 8 a.m. There were a few more clouds than the day before but certainly no threat of rain to speak of. Shaved, showered, brushed teeth and ate breakfast (cheerios, 1 bagel and 1 powerbar) before joining Doug and Ralph at 8:21 a.m. for a half mile walk west along the coast to the point where the sea blocks further progress. Our goal for the morning was to swim to isolated Honopu Beach (only accessable by boat or swimming).

On the way, Ralph and I revisited the large sea cave fronted by knee deep fresh water. This time I had my flashlight to illuminate the corridor Ralph had discovered during our first exploration of the cavern. We didn't find anything of significance and doubled back to the beach where Doug was waiting.

When the three of us reached the huge lofty boulder, Doug explained that the ocean was too rough for his liking so he would forgo the trip. Ralph and I were still game, however, and each of us dove into the deep blue Pacific Ocean bound for Honopu Beach.

It was a difficult swim (certainly not for novice aquanauts and fins would have been a big help) but Ralph and I accomplished it successfully emerging from the sea onto the first of two prisine expansive beaches which lead to Honopu Valley (a tall sheer cliff separated the beaches from the valley).

After a brief rest, the two of us walked beside the shore stopping to inspect a large buoy that had washed up recently, our solitude disturbed only by occasional catamarans. Next, we passed through a giant sea arch in route to a delightful waterfall rushing down a gap in the cliff wall. Ralph climbed dunes covered with vine-like vegetation in front of the cascade and I followed. He watched as I dropped down to the shorebreak and turned to view the mountain grandeur. The misty rock towers jutting heavenward out of the massive mountain range were especially impressive. Ralph spotted a couple of goats on a ridge above and brought them to my attention. I ascended the dunes then he and I returned to the waterfall and walked around the hills of sand to the front of the beach to admire the sheer pali and turreted ridges shrouded in mist.

The two of us went back to the first beach and took our time swimming around the point to the lofty boulder. As we made our way through the ocean, I studied the rugged coastal ridges and spotted a cruise ship in the distance. I yelled to Ralph "Its the Titanic!!!".

Upon arriving at the beach near the boulder, Ralph and I scrambled up a pile of big rocks to explore another sea cave. This one was larger than the others and had a deep fresh water pool inside. We swam in it using my flashlight to navigate. Emerged from the cavern and retraced our steps to Kalalau Beach.

From 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Doug, Ralph and I labored in the hot sun, placing new fence around some of the young trees and using loppers to widen the trail. Following lunch, more work ensued until beyond 2 p.m. Meanwhile, Reuben was busy showing a group of mainland FOX Network people the sights.

With this being our final full day at Kalalau, I set off for Kalalau Valley to explore at 2:30 p.m. My first stop was Ginger Pool, a beautiful shaded swimming hole with ginger plants growing next to it about twenty minutes in from the Na Pali Coast-Kalalau Trail/Kalalau Valley Trail junction. I enjoyed the pleasant surroundings for a time then ascended gradually over a footpath which paralleled Kalalau Stream through a short section of bamboo. In less than fifteen minutes I came across a series of delightful, inviting pools (Outlaw Pools) separated by small cascading waterfalls which provided natural jacuzzi action. An abundance of sisal plants encompassed the area as well. Once I reached the uppermost pool, I backtracked slowly along the stream, pausing several times, all the way to Ginger Pool. No one really knows what the Garden of Eden looked like but I think I got a glimpse while poking around this region.

From there I rejoined the main valley trail and hiked under a canopy to an open locale featuring "Smoke" rock. For over an hour I rotated between the east and west walls of Kalalau Valley gazing at their sheer fluted cliffs and magnificent rock towers. Reluctantly departed the special place and returned to my camp site just shy of 6 p.m.

Preparations for dinner got going at 7 p.m. on the DLNR porch and the evening meal was consumed by 8. I gorged myself, chowing down on Mountain House chicken stew and a bag of ramen. Clouds obstructed the sunset but the crescent moon made its presence known, shining brightly in the western sky. Turned in for the night at 11 p.m.

Next: Day 4 - Removing the kid from the candy store

== Patrick

Return to OHE top | Return to Oahu Hike Tales | Email Dayle