Paragraph 2 (E22)
Dayle Turner -- Instructor
Leeward Community College
Paragraph 2 Assignment
What is the topic?
This is your second formal writing assignment and for it you'll be
required to write a single paragraph of about 200 to 300 words.
Specifically, for this assignment you will write a letter to the editor
of the Honolulu Advertiser or Honolulu Star-Bulletin expressing your
displeasure about some aspect of living on Oahu. In your paragraph you
1) give several examples of the problem/situation.
2) discuss several negative effects of the problem/situation.
3) discuss several reasons why the problem/situation bothers you.
4) discuss several causes of the problem.
5) discuss several solutions to the problem.
The journal entry you just wrote (#2) can serve as your first rough draft
for this assignment. You should begin revising and making improvements to it.
Click here to read a sample
What will make for a good paragraph?
To do well in this assignment, one must--
- have a clear topic sentence,
- have three detailed points (reasons, causes, solutions, etc.) that
support the topic sentence,
- use transitions effectively to connect the ideas,
- and edit the paragraph carefully so that it is free as possible of
What are the due dates for this assignment?
Sharing day: Wed, 1/31 (Group A) and Thu, 2/1 (Groups B & C)
Submit day: Mon, 2/5 (Group A) or Tues, 2/6 (Groups B &
Additional info: On the Submit day, you must turn in two
typed/word-processed copies of your paragraph plus a stamped, addressed
envelope. One copy will be graded and the other will be mailed to the
newspaper editor. Any paragraph that appears in the newspaper will
receive 10 extra credit points.
Return to Eng 22 page
| Return to Dayle's Home Page |