Essay 2 (E22)
Dayle Turner -- Instructor
Leeward Community College
Essay 2 Assignment
What is the topic?
For your second essay, you'll be assigned to a group of two or three
students. Each group must work together to compose a single essay that
focuses on THREE spots on Oahu that young people like to spend time at.
These could be places such as a club, a park, a beach, a shop, a game
room. To avoid duplication, groups will go through a selection process
in class to determine which places they will write about. This way no
place will be written about more than once.
Once your group has selected the places to write about, you should begin
gathering information about each site. Among the info to include is--
It is important to know that the essay your group produces will serve as
an information source on the internet. Therefore, as you write and
revise your essay keep in mind that your readers may have never been to
Oahu before. Accordingly, be sure to explain yourself clearly and carefully.
- A brief description of where the place is on Oahu and how to get
- A description of what one can see, hear, smell, taste, or touch
- Some factual/historical info about the place (if you can dig up any)
- Your personal experiences, thoughts, recollections about the place.
What will make for a good essay?
To do well in this assignment, one must--
- have an effective introduction (see pages 224-226) that has a catchy
lead (see pages 225-226), a clear thesis sentence (see page 224), and a
plan of development sentence (see page 224).
- have three supporting (body) paragraphs, each focusing
on a specific place where young people hang out.
- have a concluding paragraph that restates the thesis and wraps up the
- use transitions effectively to connect the ideas,
- and edit the essay
carefully so that it is free as possible of errors.
What are the due dates for this assignment?
Sharing day 1: Wed, 3/6 (A) and Thu, 3/7 (B & C)
Sharing day 2: Wed, 3/13 (A) and Thu, 3/14 (B & C)
Submit day: Mon, 3/18 (A) or Tues, 3/19 (B & C)
Return to Eng 22 page
| Return to Dayle's Home Page |