Call 911Ask for Fire/Rescue, tell them what trail you're on and what happened.
Be VisibleWear or wave a brightly colored item in an open are during the day. At night, use a flashlight or camera flash.
Be AudibleUse a whistle to attract attention.
Stay CalmObjectively assess your situation before making any decisions. Stay calm and maintain a positive mental attitude
Stay PutYou will be found faster and reduce the chances of getting into further trouble, especially after dark, by staying put.
Stay WarmWind and rain can drain you body of warmth and be life- threatening. Get out of the wind and use your rain gear or extra clothes to stay warm.
When do you need emergency assistance?
- When an injury or illness prevents walking.
- When extremely bad weather hits.
- When it's too dark to see.
- When you're extremely fatigued or dehydrated.
- When you're disoriented or lost.
- When you're stranded, scared, unable to move.