Tom Brislin - Other Things I Do/Have Done at UH
Chair, Academy for Creative Media 2004-2012
Chair, School of Communications 1998-2002
Chair, Council of Chairs, UH Manoa 2007-2009
Student Media Art Exchange: A unique exchange program of
students, films, and festivals between the Academy for Creative Media,
University of Hawaii at Manoa, the Shanghai University School of Film and
Television Art & Technology, the Hawaii International Film Festival and
the Shanghai International Film Festival.
The SMART Exchange has produced the first U.S.-China
student film co-productions.
Special Programs in Journalism
Co-Director (Formerly Director), Parvin
Fellowship Program in Journalism Studies for journalists from the People's Republic of China.
Administrator, Carol Burnett Fund for Responsible Journalism Ethics
Coordinator, Newspaper in Residence Program, funded by a
grant from the Knight Foundation through the Association for Schools in
Journalism and Mass Communication, 2002-2003.
Administrator, George Chaplin Awards for Editorial Excellence and
Journalism Education Program. 1993-2000.
East-West Center Media Program International Advisory Council,
College/University Program Development
- Organizing Chair, University Film School Initiative,
- Manoa Forum Organizing Committee, Colleges of Arts
& Sciences, 2001, 2011, 2012, 2014.
- First Year at Manoa Coordinating Committee,
Colleges of Arts & Sciences 1999-2003.
- Service Learning "2+4" Campus Compact,
UHM-Kapiolani Community College partnership, 1999-2000.
College Focus Program
- Through College of Social Sciences College
Focus Program, I helped to develop and coordinate multidisciplinary
- Co-conducted faculty workshops in learning community philosophy and
- Co-authored two guidebooks, "Creating Connections at Manoa: A Guide
for Establishing Learning Communities," and "Making Connections: A Student's Guide
to Learning Communities at UH-Manoa."
- Taught sections of Press and Society (Jour 150) and Journalism History & Trends (Jour 360) in Learning Community setting, coordinating themes, presentations and projects with linked Sociology, Economics and Philosophy courses.
Values Across the Curriculum/College:
- Developed and conducted faculty workshop in values inquiry and assessment;
- Developed course design for an undergraduate "Values in the Social Sciences" offering;
- Wrote booklet "Values Inquiry."
Media/Journalism Ethics; International/Intercultural Media; Film, Media
Culture, and Society; Popular
Culture; Hawaii Journalism History.
Visual Communication Quarterly
Contributing Editor, Media Ethics
Journal of Mass Media Ethics 1995-2013
Guest Editor, Journal of Mass Media Ethics special issue on pedagogy. Vol.
12 No. 4 (1997)
The Academy for Creative Media: Created courses, in
collaboration with faculty, in Digital Cinema Production; Computer
Animation and Game Design; and Critical Studies. Created admission to
major and degree program requirements.
Convergence Journalism: Restructured traditional
Journalism curriculum, utilizing colloborative teaching, to prepare
students to report across all media platforms.
Hawaii Journalism History: Produced (and periodically update) 24-
page booklet on Hawaii's Journalism History for use in Journalism
Studies classes. Initially supported by an Educational
Improvement Fund grant ($4500) to develop curriculum materials emphasizing
contributions by women and minority journalists in Hawaii. Booklet received Meritorious
Mention in ASNE Isaiah Thomas Newspaper History Preservation Competition and
awarded Special Commendation by AEJMC Commission on the Status of Women and
Commission on Minorities.
Developed Problem Based Learning / Case Study method based on active-
learning strategies taking students through examination of multiple perspectives and
options before committing to a decision.
Public Opinion Polling Program for Student Journalists: Developed
and coordinate student public opinion polling program conducted by Specialized
Reporting students and, on occasion, staff members of Ka Leo O Hawai'i,
the campus newspaper. Several series of poll-based articles covering such subjects as
campus racism and sexism; student cheating; campus security; Hawaii "Brain Drain;"
media usage; basis of knowledge about AIDS and its prevention.
Computer-Assisted Reporting: Created instructional guide and
accompanying computer disk on Elements of Database Reporting for Specialized
Committees and Such
- Chair, Journalism Department Personnel, Research and Curriculum
- Member, Academic Griegance Committee;
- Member, Graduate Council;
- Member, Kapiolani and Leeward Community Colleges New Media Arts and
Digital Arts Advisory Boards;
- Member, Information
- Member, University Faculty Senate;
- Member, Selection Committee, Outreach College Dean;
- Member, College of Social Sciences College Focus Coordinating Committee;
- Member, College of Social Sciences Tenure/Promotion Policy Committee;
- Member, Program and Curriculum Committee, Colleges of Arts and Sciences.
- Member, (NCAA) Non-Qualifiers Task Force, Office of the Sr. Vice President.
- Member, Program Review and Evaluation Committee for the College of Business
Administration, UH Commission on Program Review.
- Member, Program Review and Evaluation Committee for the Center for Youth
Research, Social Science Research Institute.
- Member, University Board of Publications, overseeing publication of campus
newspaper, literary magazine and student directory.
- Member, Publications Committee and Editorial Board, Spark Matsunaga Institute
- Member, "Malamalama" Critique Task Force, Office of Vice President for University
- Selection Committee, Jefferson Fellowship Program in Journalism, and Journalist-
in-Residence, East-West Center 1991-1996;
- Teaching Standards Committee and Research Committee, Mass Communication
and Society Division; Professional Freedom and Responsibility Committee,
Visual Communication Division; Association for Education in Journalism and