- Ph.D., 1972, The Ohio State University. Speech (Mass
Dissertation: "An Analysis of the Literature and Language of Change With
Implications for Communication Theory."
- M.A., 1970, The Ohio State University. Mass Communications.
Thesis: "Selective Retention in Film."
- B.A., 1968, University of Guam. English, Secondary Education.
- RIAS Berlin Komission Senior Fellow, Program for News Directors and
Managers: Berlin and Hamburg, Germany, September 2007.
- National Association of Television Program Executives Faculty
- Fulbright German Studies Seminar "Challenges of Demographics:" Berlin,
Rostock, Frankfurt; June/July 2003.
- Manoa Forums VII and VIII on "Truth" and "Leadership," 2000 & 2001.
- RIAS Berlin Kommission/Radio-Television News Directors Foundation
Journalist Exchange Program: Study of politics, economics, and journalism
in Germany & the European Union, 1999; 2000; 2001; 2004.
- Fulbright Summer
Seminar in German Studies: Media and Communication
Systems: Bonn, Hamburg, Berlin, Leipzig, Dresden, Munich; June/July
- Poynter Institute for Media Studies Seminar on Covering Race in Your
Community, St. Petersburg, Florida, December 1996.
- Freedom Forum/AEJMC National Workshop on the Teaching of Ethics, University of
Missouri, July 1994.
- Poynter Institute for Media Studies Conference on Journalism and Society, St.
Petersburg, Florida, October 1993.
- Teaching Fellowship in Ethics, Poynter Institute for Media Studies, St. Petersburg,
Florida May 1992.
- American Press Institute Journalism Educators Seminar, Reston, Virginia, October
- Poynter Institute for Media Studies Conference on Journalism Ethics, "10 Years
After 'Jimmy's World,'" St. Petersburg, Florida, October 1990.
- Poynter Institute for Media Studies Seminar on Journalism Ethics for Professional
Journalists, St. Petersburg, Florida, October 1989.
- American Press Institute Seminar for City/Metro Editors of Major Daily Newspapers,
Reston, Virginia, January 1989.
- American Press Institute Seminar on Effective Writing and Editing for reporters &
editors, Pomona, California, December 1984.
- Gannett Teaching Fellowship in Journalism, Indiana University, July 1978.
- East-West Center Flow of News in the Pacific research project and conference,
Agana, Guam and Honolulu, Hawaii, 1976-1978.