Plantations and Finding Aids
Oahu Sugar Co. (Oahu)
History Scope and Contents
Register of the
1 cubic foot
The Apokaa Sugar Company, located in Ewa, Oahu, was a 100% owned subsidiary of the Ewa Plantation Company. Established in 1903, the Apokaa Sugar Company had as its agent Castle and Cooke, Ltd. In 1903 Apokaa Sugar Company produced a crop of 610 tons, increasing output to 874 tons in 1904. Apokaa Sugar Company was a sugar growing company, having its cane milled by Ewa Plantation Company. Apokaa Sugar Company was dissolved in 1936.
George F. Renton, Sr. 1903 - 1920
BACKGROUND, UNPROCESSED RECORDS
The six financial volumes, which make up the entire Apokaa Sugar Company collection, were discovered at the offices of the Dole Packaged Foods Company in 1993. They were given to HSPA in 1993 to become a part of the Plantation Archives.
PROCESSED RECORDS, NOTES
The small amount of material in the Apokaa Sugar Company collection consists entirely of Expense Ledgers and General Journals. Vol. 3, General Journal - 1905-1914, appears to be the second general journal volume of the company. Vol. 6, General Journal - 1935-1936, contains the dissolution of the company in March 1936.
Strengths and Weaknesses of the Apokaa Sugar Company records
Weaknesses: - lack of any records except the financial volumes.
Strengths: - the general journals form a nearly complete record.
Apokaa Sugar Co. finding
University of Hawaii at Manoa Library
Copyright © University of Hawaii at Manoa Library