You must take the Writing Placement Exam given by the Manoa Writing Program to enroll in a UH-Hilo or UH-Manoa introductory-level English writing course.
You do not have to take English 100, 101, 101, 100T or 100A if:
- You passed a course at another college or university that is equivalent to the introductory-level writing course at the campus you will attend.
- You received a score of "4" or "5" on the Language and Composition Advanced Placement Exam.
Students must register for the placement exam no later than one week before the exam date.
Taking the writing placement exam
- The exam begins at 9:00a.m. and ends at 3:00p.m.
- Bring a pen, photo-ID, and proof of social security number to the exam (students without photo-ID's and proof of social security number will not be allowed to take the test).
- Bring a lunch for yourself or be prepared to buy lunch at an eatery nearby.
- Students are required to write rough drafts of two essays in the morning session and revise their essays after the lunch break. After the lunch break, students may leave when they finish revising their essays.
- All remaining students will be asked to leave at 3:00 p.m.
April, May and August 1996 Writing Placement Exams
The exam runs from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (lunch break 12:00-1:00 p.m.) Exam Date Room Campus High School Assignments April 20 Dining Room Kaua'i Community College All high schools Hale Kehau Cafeteria UH Hilo All high schools Spalding 155 UH Manoa Aiea-Kalani (alphabetical by high school) April 27 Bilger 152 UH Manoa Kamehameha-Moanalua (alphabetical by high school) Bldg.2,A1 UHH-West Hawai'i All high schools May 4 Science 10A Maui Community College All high schools Bilger 152 UHH-West Hawai'i Nanakuli-Waipahu (alphabetical by high school) August 10 Hale Kehau Cafeteria UH Hilo All high schools August 14 Bilger 152 UH Manoa All high schools August 19 Bilger 152 UH Manoa All high schools No confirmation will be sent to you. Please write the exam date, time, and location on your calendar.
For more information, please call, write or email:The Manoa Writing Program The University of Hawai'i 2545 the Mall, Bilger 104 Honolulu, HI 96822 Phone:(808) 956-6671 Fax:(808) 956-9170 - OR - English Department - (808) 933-3476, OR Admissions Office - (808) 933-3414, or - e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, OR University Psychometrist - (808) 933-3423, or -e-mail: email@example.com University of Hawai'i at Hilo 200 W. Kawili St. Hilo, HI 96720