Home & Personal Philosophy
Librarian V Promotion 2006
Examples of Work
Sabbatical Report 2005-2006
Manager of Operations
University of Hawaii
Full Sabbatical Proposal
Sabbatical Goal: Complete Masters thesis
in Educational Technology and successfully defend.
I completed my thesis defense May 2006: Trainers
of Student Employees in UH Libraries: A Case Study
As a Librarian, I want to help library users by providing access to information
Staying current with the latest technology is a full time job. Being familiar
with current technology tools I can then encourage their implementation in
the library's information systems. For example podcasting, wikis and blogs
are being used by courses but are not being used very much in the library. The
library provides support for a wide variety of tools so that users can enjoy
and thrive in their journeys into the world of learning and research. My
studies encourage this.
The benefit to the Library from my sabbatical projects:
- I have gained expertise in the theory of Diffusion of Innovations
- I did a case study of training Access Services Student Employees
- I gained expertise in the area of Educational Technology
- My project helped me develop and strengthen connections between
UH access services units statewide. This project strengthened and
broadened the already numerous ties that I have through my service on statewide
- Increased my knowledge and experience with the trainers of student employees
in the UH system;
- I familiarized myself with techniques used to train.
- Dedicating myself to a formal investigation of through a multifaceted
case study allowed me to complete research and the thesis for MasterŐs
in Educational Technology
- The case study finding are available through my web page http://www2.hawaii.edu/~rmq.
This will allow me to share my research both on a local and global level.
- I gained a fuller understanding of the diversity of trainers and the
training processes used with student employees..
- I completed a literature review of Diffusion of Innovations, Online training,
Training techniques used in libraries and Student employees culture and
- Focusing on the trainers of student employees in circulation services
at 3 different institution in the UH system,
- The interview will collect information on the trainerŐs skill and professional
preparation for training student employees.
- The interview process will also document resources used and needed for
training student employees.
- I will then observed, and documented training sessions at 3 different
institution in the UH system.
- Attendance at Conference and workshops: Hawaii Library Association (presenter),
Hawaii Voyagers UserŐs Group ( board of directors and presenter), EndUser
2006 in Chicago, (Enhancement committee, moderator and presenter)
Examples of projects:
- Learning about Library of Congress Call numbers (pdf)
- Instructional Design and lesson plan for Prayer Clusters.
- Plan that Integrates
a Web Site and lists Expanded Events of Instruction
- Various website which have Flash based tutorials and text instructions
for learning to use the UH library system for both the
- public and
- jointly created Ka Na Ôau Pono a tutorial to develop an awareness of
Hawaiian moral, spiritual and social responsibility.
- How to fund the implement the a plan to diffuse and shared Hawaiian Education
resources is shown in a draft grant proposal
- Reorganization of ETEC Course Listings,
- Using the Internet for Academic Research (pps)
- Proposal for creating a statewide Hawaiian Educational Shared resource
from K-12- Higher Education was started with a Hawaiian Education formative evaluation