Home & Personal Philosophy
Librarian V Promotion 2006
Examples of Work
Sabbatical Report 2005-2006
Manager of Operations
University of Hawaii
Full Document (.doc, .pdf)
Trainers of Student Employees in University of Hawai‘i Libraries:
A Case Study
The University of Hawai‘i (UH) Libraries, encompassing over a dozen facilities
on thirteen campuses statewide, use student employees as the primary service
providers to charge out library materials. The level of service provided
at these service points is thus determined by the training the student employees
receive from the full-time staff. However, the researcher found scarce information
on how these students were actually trained. The researcher assumes that
the student employees were trained by non-librarians—University of Hawai‘i
library technicians and library assistants—using a WebCT (Web Course Tool)
resource that provides access to a variety of training tools.
This case study focused on the use of WebCT resource materials for training
at the University of Hawai‘i, and examined the diffusion of training innovations
through the library social system. Three primary questions guide this research:
How are non-librarian trainers of student employees at the University of
Hawai‘i libraries using the Circulation Services and Training WebCT? How
do the trainers benefit from the WebCT resource? And what can be done to
improve the WebCT resource?
The findings show that the WebCT resource serves as a repository for standardized
material and directly supports the sharing of local as well as general materials.
There are numerous benefits, including reduced work for individuals due to
sharing of resources in a central location. Improvements needed include removing
content from the secured environment so that it might be more easily available,
updated, and expanded; improving training materials and access to them by
trainers; and most importantly providing support for the trainers.
ETEC 601 Evaluation Internet Research Feedback –comment report
9. What new technique did you learn from this session?
- I learned of some new search engines and how to use them.
- Using Google "Fuzzy" search items.
- I learned a lot of new techniques tonight esp. ways to navigate the internet
more effectively and efficiently. New search engines such as Teoma and
lii.org are very informative. As a Google user, I am glad to know that
there are also other search engines out there that are focused more on
- Various methods to refine searches.
- I discovered that Google contained many different useful functions that
help specify a search. I also learned new methods of finding information
by using the different commands.
- Google Print and Google Scholar
- general understand on how to do searches...would have like more information
about educational search engines...etc
- I learned more about the various searching features you can use (especially
in Google). I think I will be using a lot of these features as I continue
my ETEC studies. I especially liked the define: filetype: and related:
- It was especially useful to see and then experience the differences in
the search engines and the types of specialized search commands...for those
of us doing graduate research, regular search techniques aren't enough
to insure that we have adequately delved into our topics.
- I also found the "fuzzy" search techniques and the "limiting" techniques
to be very helpful.
- how to use different symbols for specific searches
- search tecniques
- How to use the tilday as a thesaurus tool.
- I learned how to refine and focus the search for my subject matter. How
to take searching to the next level.
- Using Google's other search tools to focus a search, and using other
databases on the web to acquire relevant sources. Also, using punctuation
and keywords to assist in web searches via Google and Yahoo.
- To search by exactly word. I haven't known yet
10. How can this new information help you in your studies?
- It will give me resources to use in my future papers.
- I can browse a lot more sources vs. the limitations of using standard
- To navigate the Internet more effectively...
- It will be extremely useful when looking up literary sources.
- When doing research, it is essential to get the most reliable and valid
information available. Utilizing the appropriate search engines and directories
will assist the gathering of information a lot easier.
- It provides additonal resources for my research
- it's a start in undestanding researching
- The information will undoubtedly come in handy when researching information
for my master's project/topic. I think the filetype: feature will be especially
useful if I need to reference PPT presentations or other documents/data/research
- It will help me to survey what's out there as I try to focus my topic
for my thesis and, once I do that, it will help me to feel more confident
that I have done a thorough job of scholarly research.
- finding what i'm looking for quicker
- online searches
- Make it easier to do research.
- Hopefully it will save time because i won't waste time sifting through
- It can broaden and better focus my search for information on the web.
- Giving me an idea. Sometimes I think we should know broaden and when
we want information , we can select or use immediatly.
- I like the way to find that I didn't know
12. What changes (if any) would you make to improve this instruction?
- I think it was great as is.
- None. It was absolutely engaging.
- Although the handouts were collated, they needed to be stapled to avoid
- More time to try the various methods.
- I think considering the time given. The instruction was excellent.
- None, great as is.
- more direct information about educational searches....and maybe not so
fast overview of material....i got lost several times....also maybe a room
that has computer assess so we won't have to bring our own.
- More time!! Or, break up the instruction into two different sessions
to take in all the information.
- not sure...I can see the reason for scheduling it earlier in the course...I
can also see a reason for scheduling it later...when we would actually
be doing the hands on with our own topics...
- I loved the humor and the energy that RuthMarie projected...we could
tell that she is very skilled at this and yet her approach was down to
earth and relaxed
- Slow down. Cover less material and communicate other tricks through handouts.
- it was great
- It may have helped if we all had computers that could access the web.
- Nothing... just slow down . I 'm not a freshman I was born in between
the start of computer so sometimes I'm quite slow and clumsy because of
my language skill.
13. What did you find most frustrating about the presentation?
- I didn't find anything frustrating.
- If she would present this in less than 1.5 hour per session. Learners
tend to shut down when a lesson gets too long. Although it is something
I would definitely want to learn, but it's better to have the presentation
for only 1.5 hour or less on two separate days.
- Didn't have my own laptop.
- I was never frustrated
- Rushing through the material...
- just the fact that I come in to anything at the end of a working day
on "low batt"...but the humor and the hands on did much to remedy
- Too much information. Too fast pace.
- too long
- Not being able to connect to the internet and wasting time on troubleshooting
that instead of listening to the presenter and trying the searches.
- Faster speaking like Rocket to the moon !!!! Hahah... but any way , generally
I can follow... : )
- I found this presentation very useful.
- Very good instructor who knew her stuff. She should be teaching all university
departments how to search for information better.
- I think the presenter is very knowledgeable and very enthusiastic about
her work and that is a good sign. I can see myself asking her more qestions
in the future.
- Cleary and useful presentation.
- The instruction was very educational and stimulating.
- Great presentation. Expertise and enthusiasm of presenter was wonderful.
- thanks for the help...and tech support...you guys do a great job for
- Mahalo, for your time and efforts! This type of information is interesting
and useful, not only for our own research efforts, but also for our students
(those of us who work in a school system) as well.
- Although the presentation was geared to graduate students, I think some
of the exercises and understandings would be helpful to my high school
students and that the "topic worksheet" would be helpful to students
working on something like History Day, for example...
- Thank you for coming to class and sharing. I enjoyed learning.
- I enjoyed her presentation! She was very enthusiastic!
- Great presentation... lots of useful information.
Session: 10, Online Tutorials
RuthMarie Pulelehua Quirk 79
evaluations received 106 attendees at session
V E R A G E S
Disagree THIS ALL BEST WORST
SESSION SESSIONS SESSION SESSION
The speaker was knowledgeable 1.27586 1.34266 1.000 1.97500
The presentation was good 1.43860 1.49509 1.000 2.27500
The speaker was engaging 1.27586 1.51437 1.02381 2.51163
Time was used effectively 1.34545 1.52602 1.08333 2.18644
There was adequate time for questions 1.29091 1.57010 1.13333 2.57576
The visual aids were effective 1.33333 1.54654 1.16667 2.14634
The handouts appear useful 1.47273 1.61161 1.07143 2.30435
The room set-up was effective 1.47368 1.60804 1.08333 2.09375
Session met my expectations 1.43103 1.65261 1.07143 2.51220
Program was at expected level 1.40351 1.63949 1.07143 2.46154
I would recommend this to others 1.33929 1.53147 1.07143 2.28421
I'd like further sessions on this topic 1.40351 1.49942 1.08333 2.26923
- Good & useful!
- Instructor was excellent. Good advice & ideas
- Examples were helpful to see. Person was knowledgeable
- More time would have been good for examples.
- Room could have been a little darker, but presenter didn't have moderator
- Creativity of idea to use tools that simplify processes idea. Teams
can contribute to design & project
- Useful to see what others are doing in an area of common interest
- Great presentation - humor used appropriately
- inventive use of software great idea --
- This was exactly what we are looking for.
- The speaker was very engaging; the example was very helpful.
- Wow! We've been experimenting with Powerpoint/WebCT. This
is the best of both worlds!
- Very informative session!
- very engaging speaker
- great job!
- Very useful information!
- info on a specific product
- exactly what I was looking for!
- Having a demonstration
- Too short
- Speaker was great. Liked humor
- The presenter is very down to earth & makes the session fun - not
so rigid & formal
- Very clear, effective use of time, organized
- speaker's technological savvy
- Discussion of rationale for online training, especially since I and my
group are starting to work on this.
- Great idea! Thanks for sharing!
- Great macadamia nuts! Interesting concepts.
- All cool
- Very informative. I would be interested in these programs.
- info on cost & use of software & info on problems
- Gave me some great ideas to bring back -- thanks!
- Actual demos
- Quickness of going through examples
- Actual on-line demos
- The demo from the software was most helpful
Training, Re-training, and Review of Circulation tasks for Student
Knowledgeable speaker 1.053 38
Clear presentation 1.128 39
Engaging speaker 1.026 39
Good Time Usage 1.289 38
Time for Questions 1.750 36
Effective visuals 1.053 38
Useful handouts 1.231 39
Effective room set-up 1.789 38
Met expectations 1.184 38
Expected level 1.216 37
Recommend to others 1.105 38
Further such sessions 1.132 38
WHAT I LIKED MOST ABOUT THIS SESSION:
- Great session!
- Introduced me to a new software product
- Very helpful!
- The context of learning theory - I'm really pleased to hear about a training
method that accounts for
- different learning styles
- Seeing software and uses.
- Presenter was informative & fun
- Best session of conference
- Liked the nuts! Liked the demo of Camtasia
- Her sense of humor, ability to engage audience.
- Very energetic speaker
- The step by step demos!
- great program, great program
- The zip of the presenter
- Presenter has an infectuous enthusiasm for this topic.
- Great - I have Camtasia not v. well try it Thanks.
- positive attitude about students' learning
- Ruth was wonderful, charming & funny
WHAT I LIKED LEAST ABOUT THIS SESSION:
- I wanted more time to see it and discuss issues. Fastest 45 min
of the conference!
- Started off slow. Room was very crowded.
- Probably more time for questions.
- Not enough time.
- Excellent presentation
- Practical - will definitly use
- Room was TOO hot
- I'd love to see a "How To" Build a tutorial
- Great job!
- This was highly helpful.
- Exciting stuff
- Room: NO easel w/ schedule outside Salon 9!
- Great work. Thanks for sharing.
- SupportWeb sharing idea needs promotion & organization from somewhere
- I think this would be great for trainning my students. Thank you!
- Room: crowded
- I recommend that she present this again & perhaps hold a workshop
- How to attache to web pg & Flash need.
- questions not repeated for audience
- More time.