Current Research Interests and Projects:
- The Dawn mission to dwarf planet Ceres
- The surface and climate of Mars
- Ice on Earth, the Moon, Mars, and asteroids
- Permafrost on Mauna Kea; Ice caves on Mauna Loa
- Physics of planetary processes; Computational methods; Data science
Research in the News
- The last permafrost in Hawaii, Office of Maunakea Management News, October 2017.
- Dwarf planet Ceres appears to be covered with hidden ice, by Fiona Macdonald, Science Alert, December 2016.
- Where is the ice on Ceres? New NASA Dawn Findings, by Elizabeth Landau, JPL News, December 2016.
- The dwarf planet Ceres has a dark secret, by Maddie Stone, Gizmodo, December 2016.
- Mars-like ice rediscovered in Hawaii volcano, but might not last, by Alice Klein, New Scientist, September 2016
- Dawn maps Ceres craters where ice can accumulate, by Elizabeth Zubritsky (Goddard), JPL News, July 2016 [external link]
- Permanent shadows on Ceres, NASA Goddard, July 2016 [YouTube]
- There's a massive, icy underworld hiding inside one of Hawaii's volcanoes, by Chris D'Angelo, HuffPost Science, January 2016
- The melting ice caves of Mauna Loa, by Nick Lee, Hawaii Public Radio, January 2016.
- New study shows 'massive ice loss' in Mauna Loa ice cave. Hawaii News Now, December 2015 [external link]
- History of Mauna Kea snow and ice (public talk), November 2014 [YouTube].
- Looking for permafrost in Hawaii,
blog by Brian Shiro, June 2013
- Last Martian Ice Age still waning,
blog by rburnham, August 2012
- Slope streaks not becoming more common; survive for decades,
blog by rburnham, March 2012
- Mars als weißer Planet, by Guido Meyer, Deutschlandfunk (in German), September 2007
- Prickly City Comic Strip. Washington Post and Seattle Times, 24 September 2007
- Jeff Hecht. The ebb and flow of Martian ice. New Scientist Magazine, page 23, September 2007
- Mars, like Earth, has cyclical Ice Ages study says,
by Brian Handwerk, National Geographic News, September 2007
- Cambio climático: la evolución del clima en Marte
(in Spanish), September 2007
- Mars has had many, many ice ages,
by Nicholos Wethington, UniverseToday, September 2007
- Oliver Morton. Mars revisited. National Geographic Magazine, pages 2-31, January 2004
- Robert Burnham. A new type of martian landslide. Astronomy Magazine, page 30, November 2003
https://github.com/nschorgh/Planetary-Code-Collection/ (current version)
This DOI points to the most recent release: doi:10.5281/zenodo.592268
Hawaii High-Altitude Permafrost Project:
NASA Postdoctoral Program (NPP).
Qualifying topics are Ceres (start date before 4/2018) and water on Mars (start date before 7/2019).
Undergraduate students interested in research internships can apply through
Please attach your resume when contacting me by email.
Bibliography for the summit region of Mauna Kea
Bibliography for caves on the Hawaiian Islands