Press, printed or online (partial list)
- Dawn maps Ceres craters where ice can accumulate, by Elizabeth Zubritsky (Goddard), JPL News, July 2016 [external link]
- Permanent shadows on Ceres, NASA Goddard, July 2016 [YouTube]
- There's a massive, icy underworld hiding inside one of Hawaii's volcanoes, by Chris D'Angelo, HuffPost Science, January 2016
- The melting ice caves of Mauna Loa, by Nick Lee, Hawaii Public Radio, January 2016.
- New study shows 'massive ice loss' in Mauna Loa ice cave. Hawaii News Now, December 2015 [external link]
- History of Mauna Kea snow and ice (public talk), November 2014 [YouTube].
- Looking for permafrost in Hawaii,
blog by Brian Shiro, June 2013
- Last Martian Ice Age still waning,
blog by rburnham, August 2012
- Slope streaks not becoming more common; survive for decades,
blog by rburnham, March 2012
- Mars als weißer Planet, by Guido Meyer, Deutschlandfunk (in German), September 2007
- Prickly City Comic Strip. Washington Post and Seattle Times, 24 September 2007
- Jeff Hecht. The ebb and flow of Martian ice. New Scientist Magazine, page 23, September 2007
- Mars, like Earth, has cyclical Ice Ages study says,
by Brian Handwerk, National Geographic News, September 2007
- Cambio climático: la evolución del clima en Marte
(in Spanish), September 2007
- Mars has had many, many ice ages,
by Nicholos Wethington, UniverseToday, September 2007
- Oliver Morton. Mars revisited. National Geographic Magazine, pages 2-31, January 2004
- Robert Burnham. A new type of martian landslide. Astronomy Magazine, page 30, November 2003
- Leo Kadanoff. A model of turbulence. Physics Today, pages 11-13, September 1995
NASA Postdoctoral Program (NPP).
Please contact me well ahead of the application deadline.
Undergraduate students interested in research internships can apply through
Please attach your resume when contacting me by email.
Possible undergraduate projects:
- Image analysis or field experiments to study gullies, frost, and water on Mars
- High-altitude environments in Hawaii (caves, permafrost, climate history, ...)
- High-performance computing and data science
- and others
"Lessons in Scientific Computing"
Bibliography for the summit region of Mauna Kea
Bibliography for Caves on the Hawaiian Islands
File Sharing Preferences
To share a file with Google Docs, please use norbert -at- hawaii.edu
To share a file on Dropbox, please use norb1 -at- ifa.hawaii.edu
You can also use www.hawaii.edu/filedrop/ with norbert -at- hawaii.edu