Each week you will write a one page review of a research article in your
sub-discipline, and several of you will be asked to make a brief
presentation of the article that you found, so that the group can consider
the design and execution of the research.
This review should contain the following:
The format of the write ups should follow those points.
- Complete citation.
- Concise statement of the research problem.
- Brief background and intellectual significance of this work.
- Brief description of the methodology used.
- Summary of results and implications.
- Your comments on the soundness of the research and the paper's structure.
Please draw your articles from major journals in your (sub-) discipline. If
you have trouble identifying suitable journals, consult with your adviser
and with me.
To facilitate presentation of the research one page summary outlines
may be needed (I am checking with the office about permission on this).
There are several points to this exercise:
The criteria for evaluating the weekly reports are
clarity of presentation and insight in assessment.
- exploration of your literature
- examination of its research design, methods and presentation style
- practice presenting scientific results
- exposure to each other's literature