My main areas of interest are: the intersections between technology and TBLT (Task-based Language Teaching), and between technology and L2 pragmatics; Conversation Analysis for L2 interaction; teacher training and assessment.
I have arranged my publications and presentations by topics (although most fit more than one of these topics)
TBLT (Task-based Language Teaching)
(To appear). Technology and Tasks: Exploring Technology-mediated TBLT (co-edited volume with L. Ortega).Amsterdam /Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
- (2008) Gonzalez-Lloret, M. & Nielson, K. U.S. Border Patrol Spanish Immersion Training Program. Performtech Inc. Alexandria, VA. [Textbook for the Task-based Spanish Program at the Border Patrol Academies in the U.S.]
- (2008) Gonzalez-Lloret, M. & Nielson, K. Instructor Training for U.S. Border Patrol Spanish Immersion Training. Performtech Inc. Alexandria, VA. Training materials for an intensive course that all language instructors at the Border Patrol Academy need to complete.
- (2007) "Implementing tasks through technology". In K.Van den Branden, M. Verhelst and K. Van Gorp (Eds.) Task-based language education. Cambridge Scholars Press. (pp. 265-284).
- (2003) "Task-Based Language Materiasl: En Busca de Esmeraldas". Language Learning &Technology, 7,1 Available at: http://llt.msu.edu/vol7num1/gonzalez/default.html
(November 2011) "TBLT for Heritage Learners". 4th Biennial International Conference on Task-Based Language Teaching. University of Auckland, NZ. [With S. Bhatawadekar & L. Aranda]
(February 2010) "Distance learning and tasks". Presentation for the Applied Linguistics and Language Acquisition in Multilingual Contexts Masters Program. University of Barcelona, Spain.
- (September 2009) "Evaluating a TBLT Spanish immersion program". Paper presented at the 3rd Biennial Conference on Task-Based Language Teaching. Lancaster, UK. (Co-presented with Burwell G. & Nielson, K.).
- (September 2007) "TBLT in professional law enforcement". 2nd International Conference of Task-Based Language Teaching. Honolulu. Hawai'i. (Co-presented with Burwell, Rodriguez & Wickham).
- (February 2006) Task-Based Language Teaching: Options and Opportunities. Department of SLS Brownbag. Presenters: Craig Chaudron, Marta González-Lloret, John Norris, & Lourdes Ortega. UHM.
- (September, 2005) "Implementing tasks through technology". Presentation at the 1st International Conference of TBLT (Task-based Language Teaching). Leuven, Belgium.
- (April 2004) "Task-based language teaching and CALL: Critica poética for language learners". Presentation at XXII International AESLA Conference. Valencia, Spain.
- (March 2001) “Task-based CALL”. Presentation at Hawaiian Association of Language Teachers(HALT) Annual Conference.
CALL&T (Computer Assissted Language Learning and Teaching)
- (2012) Using the World Wide Web. In C. Chapelle (Ed.) Wiley Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Carol Chapelle General Editor. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
Conversation Analysis of Computer-mediated Communication. CALICO Journal, 28(2), 308-325.
- (2010) Effective Online Foreign Language Courses: Theoretical Framework and Practical Applications. The EUROCALL Review, 17. Available at http://www.eurocall-languages.org/review/17/index.html# nielson_gonzalez (with K. Nielson).
- (2010) A review of Brave new digital classroom: Technology and Foreign Language Learning. By R. Blake. Language Teaching Research, 14(2), 224-227.
- (2009) Brett, D. and Gonzalez-Lloret, M. Technology-enhanced materials. In M. Long and C. Doughty (Eds.) The Handbook of Second Language Teaching. (pp. 351-369). Blackwell.
- (2007) What do language learners attend to when their environment change?. In Periñán Pascual, C. (ed.) Revisiting Language Learning Resources, Cambridge, Cambridge Scholars Press. (pp. 223-242).
- (September 2012) Discussion, Discussion and Private Messages and Forums in Laulima: Which one do I need? Language Learning Center Teaching and Technology Workshops. UH Manoa.
- (June 2012) Text, Audio and Video SCMC. CALICO/IALT Conference, University of Notre Dame.
- (February 2012) E-assessment with Laulima and Quia. TASS (Teaching Assistant Survival Society). SLTCC. UH Manoa.
- (September 2011) Invited Plenary Presentation- "Usos de la red para el desarrollo de competencias: desde la gramática hasta la interculturalidad". [Internet uses for the development of competencies: from grammar to interculturality]. XXII ASELE [Association for the Teaching of Spanish as a Foreign Language] International Conference. University of Valladolid, Spain.
- (May 2011) "Exploring openings and closings in audio, video and text CMC". CALICO Conference. University of Victoria, BC, Canada.
- (June 2010)
"Learning to laugh. A Conversation Analysis of computer-mediated communication". Paper presented at CALICO Conference. University of Amherst, MA.
- (June 2010)
"A CA approach to CMC". Presentation on panel “Future Research Paradigms and directions of CMC-based research”. Sponsored by the CMC Special Interest Group. CALICO Conference. University of Amherst, MA.
- (January 2010)
"Technology for Language Teaching: The Future is here". University of Jaen, Spain.
- (September 2009) "Spanish L2 null-subject development through SCMC".Paper presented at EUROCALL, Gandía, Spain.
- (July 2009) "Simulaciones en el ELE". [Simulations in the Spanish as a Foreign Language Classroom] Paper presented at IV encuentro de innovación en el aula de E/LE . [IV Conference on Innovation in the Spanish as a Foreign Language Classroom]. Universidad de Valladolid (Spain).
- (May 2009) "The impact of Technology on the Research and Teaching of Pragmatics". University Jaume I, Castellon, Spain.
- (October, 2008) "Harnessing Technology for your Classroom: Student Performance-Based Assessment". HALT Symposium (Hawaiian Association of Language Teachers). University of Hawai‘i, Manoa.
- (August, 2007) "Search Engines in the Web". Guest Lecturer at LLEA 630 Seminar in Research Methods. Dept. of LLEA, UHM.
- (March, 2007) "Technology advances and SLS". Guest presentation at SLS 418 Instructional Media. Dept. of SLS. UHM.
- (February, 2007) "Building classroom communities through technology". Invited speaker for “Technology in the Classroom series” Center for Teaching Excellence. University of Hawai‘i, Manoa.
- (July, 2006) "What do language learners attend to when their environment change?" Paper Presented at the 1st International Conference on Human and Material Resources in Foreign Language Learning. Universidad Católica San Antonio, Murcia, Spain.
- (May 2006) "Is there a place for concordance programs in L2 classroom?" Paper presented at CALICO, Honolulu, HI.
- (October, 2005) "WebQuests". Presentation at HALT Fall Symposium “Time for Technology” Honolulu, HI.
- (July, 2005) "Simulations in the language classroom". Presentation at AATSP (American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese) International Conference. NY.
- (November, 2004) "A model of modular on-line learning". Presentation at National ACTFL 2004 Conference. Chicago, IL.
- (January, 2000) “101 ways to incorporate the web in your classroom”. Presentation at Second Language Teaching and Curriculum Center (SLTCC) Spring Orientation 2000.
- (April, 1999) “Using the Internet to Enhance the Language Classroom”. Presentation at Hawaiian Association of Language Teachers(HALT) Annual Conference
- (February 1999) “Multimedia Resources for Language Teaching” Presentation at SLTCC Demos & Discussions, UHM
- (August 1998) “Spanish reading materials on the web” Presentation at SLTCC Demos & Discussions, UHM.
PRAGMATICS // CONVERSATION ANALYSIS
- (2012) Pragmatics (volume editor) Wiley Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Carol Chapelle General Editor. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
- (2012) Pragmatics: An overview. In C. Chapelle (Ed.) Wiley Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Carol Chapelle General Editor. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
- (2010) Conversation analysis and speech act performance. In A. Martínez-Flor & E. Usó-Juan (Eds.) Speech Act Performance: Theoretical, Empirical and Methodological Issues. (pp. 57-74). Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
- (2009) CA for computer-mediated interaction in the Spanish L2 classroom. In G. Kasper and H. Nguyen (Eds.) Conversation analytic studies of L1 and L2 interaction, learning, and education, NFLRC and University of Hawaii Press.
- (2008) Computer-mediated Learning of L2 Pragmatics. In E. Alcón Soler and A. Martinez-Flor (Eds.) Investigating Pragmatics in Foreign Language Learning, Teaching and Testing. Multilingual Matters. (pp. 114-132).
- (2005) Reconstructing NS/NNS communication. In B. Preisler, A. Fabricius, H. Haberland, S. Kjærbeck, & K. Risager (Eds.) The consequences of mobility: Linguistic and sociocultural contact zones. Roskilde University, Denmark. Available at: http://www.ruc.dk/cuid/publikationer/publikationer/mobility/mobility2/
- (2006) A review of P. Safont, Third language learners: Pragmatic production and awareness. Studies in Second Language Acquisition, 28 (4).
(March 2012) "The use of code-switching in text audio and video L2 CMC". AAAL Conference. Boston.
- (August 2011) "L2 learning of conversation closings through computer-mediated communication". The 16th World Congress of Applied Linguistics. AILA (International Association of Applied Linguistics). Beijing Foreign Studies University, Beijing, China.
- (July 2010). "A CA Approach to the Pragmatics of CMC Troubles-talk. International Conference of Pragmatics and Language Learning. Kobe University, Japan.
- (December 2009) "Technology for Classroom Research: Multimedia for Pragmatics" University Jaume I, Castellon, Spain.
- (Juune 2009) " Intercultural communication between L2 learners with a focus on the development of their pragmatic competence" . Paper presented at Symposium on Pragmatics and Intercultural Communication in Spanish. University of London. UK.
- (March 2009)."L2 Address Behavior Development through SCMC". Paper presented at CALICO. Tempe, AZ.
- (March, 2008) "Learning to drop: A microanalysis of the development of Spanish L2 null subjects through CMC". American Association for Applied Linguistics ( AAAL) 2008. Washington D.C.
- (April, 2005) "Misunderstandings in CMC: A study of Spanish language learners". Presentation at the 16th International Conference on Pragmatics and Language Learning. Bloomington, Indiana.
- (2010) Nuevas tecnologías en el aula plurilingüe. In Ch. Abelló Contesse, Ch. Ehlers, & L. Quintana Hernández (Eds.) Escenarios bilingües – el bilingüismo en el individuo y la sociedad. [Bilingual scenes – bilingualism in the individual and in the society] (pp. 79-104). Bern: Peter Lang.
- (1999) “Ideas for Teachers” in Web Design, an Educator’s guide to Web Design (CD ROM). University of Hawai'i.
- (April 2012) How do students improve their foreign language speaking skills? 26th Annual HALT (Hawaii Association of Language Teachers) Conference. Hawai’i [with P. Chandler].
- (September 2009) "Las técnicas del profesor de ELE: evolución de la metodología, aportaciones críticas y nuevas vías de investigación". University of Seville, Spain. Presenters: L. Caceres, M. Gonzalez-Lloret, L.I. Quintana, & A. Orta García.
- (November 2008). "Syllabus Enhancement Series: Effective Classroom Communication". Presentation for the Center for Teaching Excellence, (with Henry, D.)
- (May, 2008) "Dissertation Completion Series: Demystifying Orals Defense. Presentation for the Center for Teaching Excellence". Presenters: Alan Katz, Marta Gonzalez-Lloret, & Sankaran Krishna, University of Hawai‘i, Manoa.
- (September, 2007) "Teaching to International Students. Invited colloquium". Center for Teaching Excellence. Presenters: Jenny Samaan, Marta Gonzalez-Lloret, Richard Nettell, Tamara Albertini, Walter Patrick, & Mary Lee]. University of Hawai‘i, Manoa.
- (February, 2006). ACTFL Standards in the Spanish classroom. Training Workshop for Faculty at the Spanish Division, LLEA, UHM.
- (November 2005) "How does SLA theory and research intersect with pedagogy". Guest presentation at SLS 600 Seminar on Language Teaching. Dept. of SLS. UHM.
- (November, 1998) "Using authentic materials in language instruction". Presentation at SLTCC Demos & Discussions, UHM
- (August 1998) “Spanish reading materials on the web” Presentation at SLTCC Demos & Discussions, UHM.
- (1995) "Spanish Music Through the Internet” in M. Warschauer (Ed.). Virtual Connections: On-line Activities & Projects forNetworking Language Learners. Second Lang. Teaching & Curriculum Center. University of Hawai‘i Press, Honolulu. (pp. 18-19).
(In press) Test review of Clinical Evaluation of Language Fundamentals: Preschool – Spanish Edition. In J. F. Carlson, K. F. Geisinger, & R. A. Spies (Eds.), The Nineteenth Mental Measurements Yearbook. The Buros Institute of Mental Measurements, Lincoln, Nebraska: University of Nebraska Press. (with Brown, J. D.)
- (In press)
Technologies for performance-based assessment. In M. L. Cañado (Ed.), Competency-based Language Teaching in Higher Education,, Educational Linguistics (Vol. 14). Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht.
(2009) Identifying and responding to evaluation needs in college foreign language programs. In J. M. Norris, J. M. Davis, C. Sinicrope & Y. Watanabe (Eds.), Toward useful program evaluation in college foreign language education (pp. 5-58). Honolulu: University of Hawai‘i, National Foreign Language Resource Center. (with Watanabe, Y. and Norris, J. M.).
- (2005)" On-line Assessment through Communities of Practice". In I., Thompson, & D., Hiple, (eds.). Selected papers from the 2004 NFLRC symposium: Distance Education, Distributed Learning and Language Instruction (NetWork#44) [HTML document]. Honolulu: University of Hawai'i, National Foreign Language Resource Center. Available at: http://nflrc.hawaii.edu/NetWorks/NW44.
- (November 2006) Norris, J. M., Watanabe, Y., & González-Lloret, M. "Program evaluation in college foreign language education: Need, capacity, development". Session presented at the annual convention of the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages, Nashville, TN
- (September 2006) Norris, J., González-Lloret, M., & Watanabe, Y. "Identifying and responding to evaluation needs in college foreign language programs". Poster presented at the 1st Conference of the Hawaii-Pacific Evaluation Association, Honolulu, HI.