YOU ARE HERE: Home > Language Placement Test

Language Placement Test

Kapi'olani Community College offers language placement testing for seven (7) languages: Chinese, Filipino, French, Hawaiian, Japanese, Korean, and Spanish. Taking the language placement test determines your eligibility to either start at a level beyond the introductory 101 level, or determine native fluency in a particular language.

Special instructions for speakers of American Sign Language, Arabic, and Vietnamese:

Notice for speakers of American Sign Language (ASL)
Students with knowledge of ASL who would like to arrange for placement testing should contact Crissy Holmes by e-mail at

Notice for speakers of Arabic (ARAB)
Students with knowledge of Arabic who need to take a placement test should contact the Department of Indo-Pacific Languages and Literatures at UH Manoa, phone 808.956.8672 or e-mail

Notice for speakers of Vietnamese (VIET)
Students with prior knowledge or have taken Vietnamese in the past prior to enrolling into college should contact Jennie Tran at

All tests are given by WALK-IN only. No appointments or reservations are required.

Summer 2018 Semester (May 21 - August 16, 2018)

Monday - Thursday
8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Sat / Sun / Holidays

Exceptions to the regular hours:

May 14-18, 2018
Spring Interim Week
Placement Testing
8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
May 28, 2018 (Mon)
Memorial Day
June 11, 2018 (Mon)
King Kamehameha Day
July 04, 2018 (Wed)
Independence Day
August 17, 2018 (Fri)
Statehood Day

Step-by-step procedures for taking language tests at Kapi'olani Community College

  1. Check in at the Testing Center in Lama Library

    DOCUMENTS REQUIRED: Picture ID and UH Number

    Students without proper documentation will not be admitted to test.

    NOTE: A student ID card issued by any University of Hawaii campus that contains an 8-digit student identification number satisfies both picture ID and UH number requirements.

    Acceptable photo ID documents that proves your identity include:
    - Driver's license (Full, Provisional, Limited-Purpose, and instruction permits)
    - USCIS Lawful Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
    - USCIS Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card
    - Passport
    - State ID
    - Military ID
    - School ID

    Acceptable documents that proves your UH number include:
    - Acceptance letter from Kapi'olani Community College (paper printout or e-mail version OK)
    - Completed Request for UH Number form
    - An online printout from OR

  2. Take the Test

    What language tests are available to students?

    At Kapi'olani Community College, we have the following languages available to students: Chinese, Filipino, French, Hawaiian, Japanese, Korean, and Spanish.

    If you need an ASL placement test, contact Crissy Holmes at

    What items am I allowed to have during testing?
    Nothing. The test is closed book, closed notes.

    How long does the test take?
    Language tests have no time limits. Give yourself a minimum of two (2) hours to complete the test.

    Test format
    All tests are multiple choice and consists of reading and listening sections.

    Can I take the language test in separate sections?

    No. The test must be taken in its entirety in one (1) sitting.

  3. Get your placement results

    When do I get the results of the language placement test?

    The results of a language placement test are available for pickup at the front desk immediately upon the completion of the test.

    How long are my test scores valid?
    Your language test scores are valid for two (2) years.

    What is the language test Re-Test Policy?
    You may re-take the language test once every sixty (60) days. We do not charge any re-testing fees for language tests.

    Test results MUST be printed before you leave the testing center!
    Do not close the internet browser window. Let a test center proctor know you have completed your test and need your results printed. If you accidentally close the browser window before you print your scores, we will need to contact our language placement coordinator to get a copy of your scores, and this could delay your registration for the language course you want to take.

    My test results indicate that I should take a speaking test - what next?
    If you are placed into a language at the 202 level, please contact the instructor of the course you intend to register for to arrange a speaking test. The results of the speaking test will determine whether you are qualified to take a course at or above the 202 level.

  4. Bring your test results to the Admissions/Records Office

    If you place into a language at the 102, 201, or 202 level and DO NOT take a speaking test, submit your results to the Admissions/Records office in 'Ilima 102 for an override to register for the course.

    If you took a speaking test with the instructor,
    he or she will determine your final placement level. Once the instructor determines your final placement level, take those results to the Admissions/Records office in 'Ilima 102 for an override to register for the course.

    > SEARCH for courses using Class Availability:

    > REGISTER for classes and pay tuition via MyUH Portal:
Kapi'olani Community College Testing Center 4303 Diamond Head Road, Lama 101 Honolulu Hawai'i 96816
Information: 808-734-9144 Fax: 808-734-9453 E-mail: [Report a Concern]: Click Here