1. How does temperature affect bacterial growth?
- How does temperature affect enzymes?
2. How are organisms classified according to their temperature
3. What is Thermus aquaticus?
- How is this organism used in modern molecular biology?
- What is the Polymerase Chain Reaction?
4. How are organisms classified according to their Oxygen
5. What is catalase?
- How does it protect cells?
- Why would cells have it?
- How does one do the catalase test in the lab?
6. How is Oxygen manipulated in the lab?
- How do you grow capnophilic organisms?
- How does an anaerobe jar work?
- What is thioglycollate used for?
7. Describe the diseases (how do you catch the disease and
what are the symptoms) caused by the following organisms:
8. Describe the differential properties of Blood Agar.
- Clostridium tetani
- Clostridium botulinum
- Clostridium perfringes
- Clostridium difficile
- Streptococcus pyogenes (group A beta hemolytic Streptococcus)
- Streptococcus faecalis (Enterococcus faecalis; Group
- Streptococcus pneumoniae (note that there has been
a marked increase in antibiotic resistance with this organism recently)
- Streptococcus agalactae (group B streptococcus)
- What do the different forms of hemolysis look like?
9. Describe bile esculin agar.
- What is esculin?
- Why would an organism want to break it down?
- How do we know if an organism has broken it down?
- What is bile?
- Which types of organisms would you expect to be tolerant
10. How can you tell if something is growing in your salt
- What were the results of your salt broth experiment?
- Which organism was the most halophilic?
- Which organism was the most sensitive to the salt?