WORK EXPERIENCEResearch Corporation of the University of Hawai'i, Pacific Cooperative Studies Unit
PCSU Curator of Cultural Resources, Sep 2007 - Present
- Planned and coordinated the development of the first Department of Defense curation facility on Oahu, HI in accordance with the federal regulations: 36 CFR Part 79.
- Worked with Department of Army Civilian (DAC) staff on historic building design reviews and building improvements for new Cultural Resources workspace.
- Lead the library, general office furniture and equipment design layout and coordinated the installation and office relocation for a new building, including obtaining bids.
- Plan and implement collections management projects.
- Manage collection databases and other digital and analog records.
- Conducted an Archaeological Curation and Collections Management Survey.
- Initiated preservation planning for the organization of cultural resources collections.
- Completed archaeological holding summary.
Museum Consultant (Contract), Jan 2006 - Dec 2009
- Trained volunteers on use of Past Perfect Software.
- Began collection inventory, object accessioning, and cataloguing.
- Wrote and installed exhibitions for public display.
Curator, Archivist, Museum Technician/Webmaster, Researcher, Jan 1999 - Aug 2005
- Developed, designed, fabricated and installed exhibits under budget by creating pieces in-house and soliciting in-kind donations.
- Maintained all permanent museum collections; reorganized the Archives; and increased collection accessibility to users by maintaining and modifying the museum's collection management database.
- Restored, registered, and catalogued digital photographs and museum archives.
- Designed graphics; maintained website; provided technical support; wrote publications; and coordinated special events.
Manager of Water Sports Program, SCUBA Divemaster, Office Manager of Fishing Operation, Apr 1999 - Oct 1999
- Developed and presented ecological briefings and species identification to ocean goers before leading skin/scuba dives and kayak education tours.
- Maintained database of visitors, funds, scheduling, and ran office general operations.
University of Hawaii at Hilo
Scientific Research Diver and Data Analyst, Teacher for the Hawaiian EdVenture Program, Laborer for Marine Science vessels, Aug 1997 - Aug 1998
- Monitored Fish Management Areas with the Department of Land and Natural Resources.
- Created and implemented activities to educate students on the science of the Big Island.
- Repaired decks of a catamaran, including sanding, fiber-glassing, and painting.
University of Hawaii at Manoa
M.A. Candidate in Library Information Science, Spring 2015-present
University of Hawaii at Manoa
Graduate Certificate in Museum Studies, American Studies Graduate Program, Aug 2005 - May 2007
Trained in caring for and displaying collections, providing educational outreach and public services, and increasing the participation of native/indigenous peoples in the respectful presentation and use of native cultural resources. Specialized in preservation management.
B.A. in Marine Science with a Biology minor, 1998
Marine Option Program Certificate, University of Hawaii at Hilo (1998) - course, field, and laboratory work focusing on biological, physical, chemical, and geological aspects of the ocean. Specialized in quantitative sampling, statistical analysis, and marine mammal research.
College of DuPage, Glen Ellyn, Illinois
A.S. Degree in Wildlife Science, 1995
Educational Accomplishments and Activities
- Office of Graduate Education Achievement Scholarship, 2016
- GSO Grants Award, 2016
- Presented the Hayes Award for Outstanding Senior Thesis Research, 1998
- Awarded the Best Research Project Presentation at the state-wide University Marine Option Program Symposium, 1998
- Awarded the Best Internship Project Presentation at the state-wide University Marine Option Program Symposium, 1997
- Awarded the Ecology and Environmental Studies Scholarship from the Rotary Club of South Hilo, 1997
- Phi Theta Kappa member (National Honor Society), President's and Dean's List
- Marine Option Program and Marine Science Club Member
- Library Student Memberships: American Library Association Student Chapter (ALA-SC), Society of American Archivists Student Chapter (SAA-SC), Na Hawai'i 'Imi Loa (NHIL), and Hui Dui
Career Related Training
Cultural Resources Management and Protection
Introduction to Cultural Resources Management, Laws and Regulations, Naval Civil Engineer Corps Officers School, February 2013
Advanced Historic Preservation Law and 106 Compliance, Naval Civil Engineer Corps Officers School, February 2013
Certified Institutional Protection Manager, Cultural Property Protection Training by the International Foundation for Cultural Property Protection, September 2011
Disaster Recovery for Collections, Balboa Art Conservation Center, October 2012
Protecting Cultural Collections: Prevention, Preparedness, Response & Recovery, WESTPAS, 2010
Consultation and Protection of Native American Sacred Lands, National Preservation Institute, March 7-8, 2007
NAGPRA Compliance, National Preservation Institute, 2009
Museum, Archive, and Cultural Workshops
Electronic Records- the Next Step: DAS webinar, Society of American Archivists, May 2015
Arrangement and Description of Electronic Records: parts I and II, Society of American Archivists, March 2015
Standards for Digital Archives: DAS webinar, Society of American Archivists, March 2015
Caring for Collections: Conservation Issues for Museums, Historical Societies, Libraries, and Archives, UH Manoa, June 2005
Preservation Planning for Museums, Historical Societies, Libraries, and Archives, UH Manoa, June 2005
Conservation: Do It Yourself vs. the Pros, with Beverly Perkins from the Balboa Art Conservation Center at I'olani Palace, September13, 2006
Cataloguing Cultural Objects: Overview and Practical Implications for Museums, American Association of Museum's Annual Meeting, Chicago, May 2006
Mount Making of Museum Objects, Robert Barclay of the Canadian Conservation Institute at Bishop Museum, April 26, 2007
OCLC Digitization Conference, Bellows, May 2005
Exhibition Installation (Nuts and Bolts of) for Museums, Galleries, and Related Sites, UH Manoa, June 2007
Color for Exhibition Design in Museums, Galleries, and Related Sites, UH Manoa, June 2007
Sign Planning and Design Workshop, Lyman Museum, Mar 2005
Interpretive Planning Workshop, Hawai'i Museums Association, Apr 2004
Fundraising I and II for Non-profit Organizations (2003 and 2004)
Waikiki Aquarium Visitor Survey, Fall 2005
Honolulu Academy of the Arts, Life in the Pacific in the 21st Century Exhibition, 2006
Honolulu Hale, National Arts Program Exhibition, Spring 2006
9th International Shoebox Exhibition, University of Hawaii Gallery, Spring 2006
Japanese Cultural Center of Hawai'i exhibition, May 2006
West Hawai'i Coral Reef Monitoring Project, monitoring Fish Management Areas with the Department of Land and Natural Resources- conducted research dives, analyzed slides from photo-quadrants, and entered data into database
National Marine Fisheries Service with Sea Turtle (Chelonia mydas) Project - assisted with the capture, data collection, tagging, and release of Green Sea Turtles at Punalu'u, HI (1995-1999)
Monitored health and interactions of a bottlenose dolphin neonate as a Dolphin Quest intern and conducted Senior Thesis on Neonatal Development of Tursiops truncatus, Bottlenose Dolphin, Hilton Waikoloa Village, 1996
Completed DOLPHINLAB - Dolphin Research Center, Florida, May 1994 - course covering dolphin behavior, language research/communication, husbandry, biology, and training
Water and Emergency Health Care Certifications
PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors): Certified in Medic First Aid, (1999)
Certified in Oxygen First Aid Administration, DAN (Divers Alert Network)
American Heart Association Certifications: Health-Care Provider; Heartsaver CPR Course; Pediatric Basic Life Support
American Red Cross Certifications: Wilderness and Remote First Aid (2015) Standard First Aid (2015); Adult and Community CPR
University of Hawai'i: Authorized Scientific Diver, June 1996
Federally-Trained Fire Warden, 2010
WMA - Western Museums Association
AASLH - American Association for State and Local History
HMA - Hawai'i Museums Association
AHA - Association of Hawai'i Archivists
HLA- Hawai'i Library Association
HASL- Hawai'i Association of Special Libraries
SHA - Society for Hawaiian Archaeology