|last updated Tue Oct-28-2008 11:09|
Preliminary cataloging of an HTML printout:
- Using the cataloging module, retrieve the electronic_HTML.tem to input a new bib record
- Click on the leftmost icon of the Voyager Cataloging module to access
2. Input standards:
- Follow the input standards established for Preliminary Cataloging. Default values are provided wherever possible to minimize repetitive input. Adjust defaults when appropriate.
3. Authority control:
- Use Right Click⁄Verify to search all unverified authority-controlled headings via the Voyager Browse Headings List.
- If a matching AUTHORIZED heading is found, use the Retrieve command to retrieve the heading from the Headings List into the bibliographic record. Matching headings include preferred forms with authority records as well as headings that lack formal authority records; i.e., nothing in the far left column of the Headings List screen.
- If a matching REFERENCE heading is found, navigate to the underlying AUTHORITY record and Retrieve the heading.
- If NO matching heading is found, or if you cannot quickly determine whether the heading is a match, input the heading, surname first, in a 1xx tag exactly as it appears on the piece. Use upper⁄lower case.
4. Punctuation & spacing:
- Supply ISBD (International Standard Bibliographic Description) punctuation and spacing as prescribed by USMARC and AACR2r input standards.
5. Diacritics & Special Characters:
- Input all diacritics and special characters.
|Type of record
||a (language material)
|Descriptive Cataloging Form
7. 006 Additional Material Characteristics (m- Computer File):
|Type of file
8. 007 Physical description (c- Computer File):
|Specific material designation
|Orig. vs. Repro (OBSOLETE)
||n (not applicable)
|Sound on medium
|Image bit depth
|File Format through Reformatting Quality
||| (no attempt to code)
9. 008 Fixed Field:
||Required (System supplied)
||Mandatory (Default = s)
||Mandatory (Default = 2005, change to year of publication)
||Input if applicable
|Form of item
|Nature of contents
||Accept default if bibliographic materials are present. (Default = b)
||Accept default if index is present. (Default = 0)
10. Variable Fields:
040 Source of Cataloging
Accept default ‡a ‡c (‡a HUH ‡c HUH)
050 B4 Library of Congress Call no. assigned by non-LC agency
Accept default; leave call number incomplete.
100 Personal Name Main Entry
Verify name in Authority File. Use authorized form if available.
Input name as it appears on the title page if unverified. Use upper⁄lower case.
Change to 110, 111 or 7XX if appropriate
245 Title Statement
Subfield Input order is ‡a ‡h ‡n ‡p ‡b ‡c
Keep the first indicator as a 1 if 1XX tag is present
Input ‡a (Place of publication) :
Input ‡b (Name of publisher),
Input ‡c (Year followed by full stop, match to 008⁄Year 1)
Use ‡a [S.l. : ‡c s.n.], if place⁄name unknown
300 Physical Description
Accept default ‡a 1 electronic text (html)
Edit ‡b if appropriate <default ‡ b ill.> ; match to Illustration codes in 008
490 Series Statement
Transcribe exactly as it appears
First Indicator (default is 1)
1 The series has no corresponding added entry (not traced) or has a corresponding 800-830 series added entry field (traced differently)
0 No series added entry is desired for the series (UHM does not use first indicator 0)
538 System Details Note
Accept default ‡a Mode of access: World Wide Web.
504 Bibliography Note
Complete ‡a if bibliographical references are present
Delete 504 tag and 008⁄Bibliography if bibliography not present
500 General Note
Add as needed; input note(s) into ‡a
Use multiple 500 tags for multiple notes
Use this note to record:
- important information transcribed from the piece
- descriptions of symbols in title
In title the word pi is represented by the Greek symbol.
533 Reproduction Note
Accept default ‡a Printout.
Edit ‡b if appropriate <default ‡b [Honolulu : >
Edit ‡c if appropriate <default ‡c University of Hawaii at Manoa Library, >
Edit ‡d to match date in 008 <default ‡d 20**] >
Edit ‡e to match physical piece in hand <default ‡e PAGINATION ; ## cm. >
Edit ‡n to reflect capture date <default ‡n Description based on printout of World Wide Web document dated MON. DAY, YEAR. >
When tag is completed, copy the tag to put into the MFHD as an 843 tag
7XX Added Entry
Add if appropriate
Follow input standards as for 100 Tag
8XX Series Added Entry
When value "1" is used in series 490 tag, the appropriate field 800-830 is built during the BAM process to provide the series added entry.
856 40 Electronic Location and Access
Edit ‡u to match URL <default ‡u http:⁄⁄URL_GOES_HERE >
After saving the record to the database, be sure to use Cataloger's toolkit to BAM the record
11. MFHD & ITEM records:
- Follow established standards for creating MFHDs and ITEMs
- Create separate MFHD & ITEM records for each copy
‡b Location Code = As appropriate
‡b Call no. = IN CATALOGING BIB NUMBER
866 = Supply if appropriate
843 = Paste the 533 tag from the bib record, and change to an 843 tag in the MFHD
Original paper copy ITEM:
Barcode = Use barcoded 4”x2” self adhesive label, attach after the title page.
Item Type = As appropriate
Enumeration = Supply if appropriate, match format to 866