|last updated Wed Nov-20-2013 09:56|
1) Go to the ProQuest site Basic search screen. Input key words or the title of the dissertation in the long box.
2) Search the site for the specific title. This should take you to a Results page.
3) On the Results page, access the Web page for the specific title, using the Citation⁄Abstract link.
To do so, click on the Citation⁄Abstract hot link for the specific title you are cataloging (there may be more than one result on this page, depending on how specific your search was to begin with).
4) Examine the Citation⁄Abstract page:
- ensure that the Formats panel (located on the right side of the page) has been expanded
- check to see if the thesis has been published in open access and⁄or Full text
If the thesis is available in open access, there will be a box saying so in the expanded Formats panel
- Scroll down and copy the Document URL from the Citation⁄Abstract page (near the bottom)
Tip: Multiple-click the URL to select
This is the link to paste into the ELECTRONIC FORMAT MFHD's 856
If the thesis has been published in open access, you will need to input an 856 41 tag in the bib record,
as well as the ELECTRONIC FORMAT MFHD.
For an open access title:
In the bib the URL should follow this format: http:⁄⁄search.proquest.com⁄docview⁄##########?accountid=27140
Paste the Document URL into the bib record, then edit out the Proxy server portion from the URL.
- 530 for open access titles: Also available via World Wide Web.
- 530 for non-open access titles: Also available by subscription via World Wide Web.
- If the Full text - PDF hotlink is not present but there is an abstract available: this means that there is only a citation and an abstract available for the selected dissertation. In these cases (and any other cases where there is an abstract but no free full-text version available), there will be no MFHD for the electronic format. Instead, the bib should have an 856 42 and a 530 like this:
530 __ Abstract also available via World Wide Web.
856 42 ‡3 Abstract ‡u Document URL from the Citation⁄Abstract page
No computer file 007 in the bib.
No ending punctuation on the ‡3 field.
No need for a proxy-server URL.
No MFHD for electronic format.
- If the Full text - PDF hotlink is not present and there is no abstract available : delete all references in the bib record to the electronic version; do not input if lacking in bib.
- To create the ELECTRONIC FORMAT MFHD, change the Template in Options to:
This template has the correct indicators, location, call number, public note, and a place to paste in the Document URL that you copied. Double click on the PASTE_DOCUMENT_URL_HERE to highlight; paste in the Document URL.
Edit the 843 ‡d (default is 20##?]). Change the date to the date of the thesis as it appears in the 502 tag in the bib record. Leave the question mark and ending bracket in place.
Be sure to change the template back to
when you are through with ELECTRONIC FORMAT MFHDs.
Statistics: Count as Web resources added links.