|last updated Thu Mar-19-2009 12:41|
- If the full copy is for new incoming material in the P classification, check the call number against our current on-line Authority record. If there is a Classification number in the Authority record, use that classification number. If there is no classification number in the Authority record, search the on-line catalog by author to see if we have other works by the same author. Some adjustment to the call number in the incoming bib record may be necessary, especially for non-LC assigned classifications of authors, to avoid call number conflicts or to adjust the filing order in our database. Cutters (for works by authors whose P classification has already been established in our database) may be assigned based on the Cutter Table. If there is no Authority record for the author, refer the piece after cataloging to Nancy for Authority work.
- Edit the record as necessary
- Ensure that there is an OCLC 035 tag. If there is not, once the piece(s) are done, route to Cataloger of the Week, so that the record can be uploaded to OCLC.
- BAM the bib record, editing to correct errors reported in the BAM. Pay special attention to the series statements, as the rules and indicator codings have changed. Bounce bib records with 490 0 series statements or 830 0 no Authority record statements to Nancy for Authority work.
- Edit the existing MFHD (for single piece or multiple pieces; base the coding on the 300 tag in the bib)
- add 866 tag(s) if appropriate
- Create ITEM(s)
- add volume⁄part designation(s) to Enumeration line, if appropriate
- Count stats as 1 Copy for the first piece in a title, 1 Added Piece for each subsequent piece on the same bib; If multiple locations including HAWN or PACC are involved, count HAWN or PACC as the first copy, other collections as added.
Adding matching material to existing bib records in the database
- Ensure that the piece is an exact match, including format.
- Ensure that there is an OCLC 035 in the bib record. If there is not, once the piece(s) are done, route to Cataloger of the Week, so that the record can be uploaded to OCLC.
- Update our holdings on OCLC. The record on OCLC may be more complete than the one currently in the database; if so, export and overlay the fuller record, retaining the databases' existing call number (It may be necessary to add a new local-style 050 call number tag or edit the local-style 050 call number tag and⁄or 6XX tags and other library specific tags to the incoming record). Note that the OCLC number may have changed - but that the old OCLC number will appear in a 019 tag.
- If adding volumes to any existing bib record, add 020s for the incoming volume(s) if needed. Follow the established pattern present in the bib record. If therre is a 505 Contents tag, update the information with data from the incoming material.
- BAM the bib record after the final save, editing to correct errors reported in the BAM. Pay special attention to the series statements, as the rules and indicator codings have changed. Bounce bib records with 490 0 series statements or 830 0 no Authority record statements to Nancy for Authority work.
- Count stats as added piece for each piece added, under appropriate collection.