PROCESSING NetLibrary E-BOOKS
The University of Hawaii at Manoa generally follows a single-record approach to cataloging multiple versions of the same edition of a resource.
A microform or print reproduction version of a print resource is described in the MFHD of the location that owns the microform or print reproduction version.
Remote-access electronic versions of print resources are handled in two ways, depending on whether access to the electronic version is free or restricted. When access to a remote electronic version of a print resource is restricted to a particular UH Voyager site, the electronic version is described in the MFHD of the location that pays for access. When access to a remote electronic version of a print resource is free and unrestricted (i.e., access is available to all UH Voyager users at all sites), the electronic version is described in the bibliographic record, and an electronic location MFHD is added only if there is no other MFHD already attached to the bibliographic record. This is in accordance with the SCCC MFHD policy that every bibliographic record must have at least one MFHD attached to it.
NetLibrary E-books purchased by UHM are licensed for use by all Hawaii Voyager site users. This includes Hawaii Medical Library, Bishop Museum, and the State Archives, in addition to all University of Hawaii System sites. UHM cataloging policy for NetLibrary e-books is therefore different from the usual UHM cataloging policy for paid, restricted-access electronic resources.
The following are procedures for cataloging NetLibrary e-books licensed by UHM for use by all Hawaii Voyager sites.
2. Open Voyager cataloging module; search type will be “title” in most cases.
3. Open a Web browser; access the UHM NetLibrary home page at
4. Copy the first title in column A of the spreadsheet.
5. Paste the title into cat module title search.
6. If more than one result, use the bibliographic information on the spreadsheet to determine the correct title and edition; retrieve the correct matching Voyager record.* (See below for instructions when no matching edition is found in Voyager.)
7 Add a remote ER 007 to the bibliographic record; only the first five bytes (Voyager cat-module-wise) need to be supplied. In all cases, these will be as follows: r_unu (You will probably want to store a keyboard macro to create this 007 if you will be cataloging a number of remote-access e-resources)
7. Add, as the last 5XX note, the following 533 reproduction note:
‡a Electronic reproduction. ‡b Boulder, Colo. : ‡c NetLibrary, ‡d [200-] ‡n Mode of access: World Wide Web.
(Again, you will probably want to create a keyboard macro to produce this 533 note if you will be doing a number of these.)
8. Add an 856 field, indicators 4,1, and change ‡a to ‡u (Again, a macro is useful for this.)
9. On the NetLibrary home page, search the title (the title should still be in your buffer, so you'll just need to put your cursor in the “title” box and press ctrl-V to paste).
10. When your title appears as a hypertext link, click the link to retrieve the title.
11. When you reach that page, copy the URL in your Web browser's URL box. It will be in a form like this:
12. Go back to cat module; paste that URL in after the ‡u in the 856 field.
13. Save the bib record to the database.
14. Click on “New hldgs.”
15. Select the holdings template called “NetLibrary.tem.” (This template is available in Z:\Cat\TEMPLATES. You should copy it from there into your own Voyager templates file on your C:\ drive. It contains the completed 007, 852, and 843 fields, and the 856 41 ‡u of the 856 field.)
16. Paste the URL that is still in your buffer after the ‡u in the 856 field.
17. Save the MFHD and close it.
18. Check the vid of the bib record you've just completed; type it into column D of the spreadsheet.
19. Go back to step 1 and repeat if there are more titles.
20. When every title on the spreadsheet has been cataloged, the spreadsheet should be moved to the folder named “Cataloged” in Z:\Community\NetLibrary.
*If no Voyager record for the print version is found, import from OCLC the record for the NetLibrary version, and continue with step 7 as usual after importing and editing as follows:
- If no Hawaii Voyager site has print holdings, the 245 should contain ‡h [electronic resource]
- 008⁄type should be “s.”
- Delete the 710 added entry for NetLibrary.
- Delete the 776 original version linking entry.
- Date type and date(s) should be those appropriate for the original.