Cataloging Dept., University of Hawaii at Manoa Libraries 9⁄30⁄03
DUPLICATE COPY WITHDRAWAL PROJECT (FALL 2003)
The project goal is to weed unneeded duplicate copies from the collections, retaining a single or last copy. Public Services staff initiate withdrawals of duplicate copies, and Collection Services staff perform follow-up work to delete holdings records for withdrawn copies and, when needed, create holdings records for those unlinked copies to be retained. Offering of duplicates to other libraries is handled by G&E staff in Acquisitions Dept.
PUBLIC SERVICES STAFF PROCEDURES
1. Survey copies and select copy (or copies) in the poorest physical condition for withdrawal.
2. Pick out the copy (or copies) which you want to retain.
3. Open up back cover(s) and look for barcodes:
If book has a barcode, put it back on the shelf.
If not, stick a post-it note on the title page which says RETAIN⁄LINK, and pull it along with the copy to be withdrawn
4. Separate the copy(ies) to be withdrawn into two categories:
- Books to be withdrawn and discarded
- Books to be withdrawn and offered to other libraries
5. Put a marker or flag in the ones to be offered.
6. Store 1) pieces to be withdrawn⁄discard and RETAIN⁄LINK together, separately from 2) pieces to be withdrawn⁄offer for pickup by Collection Services staff member.
COLLECTION SERVICES STAFF PROCEDURES
Collection Services staff member will barcode the RETAIN⁄LINK copies, create holdings and item records, and reshelve them. This linking work for retained copies must be done first in order to save the bib record which would otherwise vanish when last apparent copy is withdrawn.
1. Make a printout of the MARC record.
2. Peel off barcode and attach (tape, staple) to the printout if possible. Or, write the barcode number on the printout.
3. If the piece does not have a barcode, record the “fake” barcode found in its item record. (NOTE: Fake barcodes begin with letters “TMP” or “N” or with 1090--) Since (in addition to having no bar code) the book pulled lacks a holdings record and item record, write "NBC" and the COPY NUMBER on the MARC printout.
4. Write the copy number or volume number of the piece to be withdrawn on the printout next to the barcode.
5. IF THE WITHDRAWN PIECE IS TO OFFERED THROUGH G&E, follow these steps:
Photocopy the title page.
Stamp “WITHDRAWN” on each piece
Send withdrawal paperwork to CatSS (photocopy of title page, printout of the MARC record with barcode number noted, note of copy⁄vol. numbers of copies to be retained)
Send the physical volume to G&E.
6. IF THE WITHDRAWN PIECE IS TO BE DISCARDED, follow these steps:
Tear out the title page.
Send withdrawal paperwork to CatSS (the title page, printout of the MARC record with barcode attached or barcode number noted)
Stamp “WITHDRAWN” on each piece
Black out the call number label on the spine or cover of the piece
Remove date due slip if possible; mark it out with an “x” if not
Box discards. Tape box shut and mark box “DISCARD.”
Place boxes on loading dock for pickup Monday through Thursday. Call mailroom staff in advance if you have many boxes to discard at once.