ANIMAL SCIENCES 201: SWINE SECTION
Last Updated: October 1, 2009
Halina M. Zaleski
Department of Human Nutrition, Food and Animal Sciences
Ag Sciences 314E
Relate scientific principles to management practices
Provide an overview of swine production
Know basic facts and trends in the swine industry
Know management practices in swine production
Apply scientific principles to management practices to improve efficiency
Use appropriate terminology
Be able to identify trends and relationships and make comparisons
1. Pigs and Pig Farmers
Lecture Slides - Part 1
Lecture Slides - Part 2
UN Food and Agriculture World Statistics
National Pork Board Pork Facts
Pigs in Hawaii (Pele and Kamapua`a, People of the Islands, Wild Pigs)
Hawaii Agricultural Statistics Service
National Pork Board
2. Production Management: Reproduction
Major Breeds - National Swine Registry
Oklahoma State University: Swine Breeds
3. Production Management: Growth
Land O'Lakes Feed
4. Health and Welfare
National Pork Board Swine Care Handbook
1. What are the trends in world pork production? Why?
2. What are the trends in US pork production? Why?
3. What are the trends in Hawaii pork production? Why?
4. How does health/disease impact swine production? How can industry respond?
5. What is the value of swine products and byproducts?
6. How does swine production impact the economy?
7. How does swine production impact the environment?
8. How is swine production efficiency measured?
9. What affects reproductive efficiency?
10. What affects growth efficiency?
11. What are current food safety issues? How can industry respond?
Grades for Swine Section:
Quizzes 15 points
Exam 85 points
Resources on the Web:
APHIS Veterinary Services
EPA Animal Feeding Operations
UH Animal Sciences
stag: male pig castrated as an adult