ICS Graduate Seminar, ICS 690
The seminar is 4:30-5:30 Thursday in POST 126 unless otherwise indicated.
This schedule is subject to change.
- Thu Aug 24,
new student orientation.
Required for all new students, not required for anyone else. Does
count towards attendance -- contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have
- Thu Aug 31 how to
give a good research talk
- Thu Sep 7, June Zhang, Network Science and Network Processes.
- Thu Sep 14 Ben Karsin.
- Thu Sep 21 how to
give a good research talk, part II
- Thu Sep 28 William Wright.
- Thu Oct 5 .
- Thu Oct 12 .
- Thu Oct 19 .
- Thu Oct 26 .
- Thu Nov 2 .
- Thu Nov 9 .
- Thu Nov 16 .
- Thu Nov 30 .
- Thu Dec 7, Mariam Doliashvili, Emoji Recommender Systems.
This 1-credit seminar is designed to promote the professional
development of ICS graduate students [Casanova].
ICS graduate students improve their professional development by:
- giving presentations on their own work, to
- practice doing presentations (verbal communication skills)
- encourage the performance of meaningful work that can be presented
(research or project work)
- get to know each other (networking)
- give the student feedback on their work (improvement of skills)
- the instructor giving presentations, to provide
information that may be useful for career and graduate studies
Reading material may include:
- Cresswell's Research Methods (Spring 2006)
- Dee's Building a Successful Career in Scientific Research (Fall
- Levin's Relating Statistics and Experimental Design : An
Introduction (Spring 2007)
- Haugh's Scientific Method in Practice (Fall 2007 and Spring
- visiting speakers and UH faculty
giving presentations throughout the semester
To pass this course, students must give a presentation of their
own work, and attend at least 10 of the sessions, with the following
- Ph.D. students who are ABD (have completed their proposal)
only need to attend 5 of the sessions.
- M.S. students need to give the presentation once during their
time as an M.S. student, and not necessarily in the semester in which
they register for ICS 690.
If you have any questions, please contact the instructor.