Note: This page has just now come under construction.
It is far from complete.
The following is a list of some of the terms that will be used in class discussions
- American National Standards Institute.
- U.S. Department of Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.
- American Standard Code for Information Interchange.
- Asynchronous Transfer Mode--a packet-switching method
that utilizes fixed-length packets, used in tranmitting voice and video.
- Capacity of a communications channel, usually expressed in terms of
cycles per second (hertz).
- Binary digit--zero or one.
- High-speed, high-capacity transmission capacity with sufficient bandwidth to
transmit voice, data, and video.
- Direct Broadcast Satellite--used to transmit television signals to households.
- Electronic Data Interchange--Standard format used to transmit intercompany
business communications (invoices, orders, etc.) from computer to computer
- General Agreement on Trade in Services.
- General Agreement on Tarrifs and Trade.
- Geostationary Satellite--Orbits 22,300 miles above the earth every 24 hours.
- Global Information Infrastructure.
- Global Positioning System.
- International Frequency Registration Board. Part of ITU.
- Private network operating like the World Wide Web but not accessible outside the
- Integrated Services Digital Network.
- International Standards Organization.
- International Telcommunication Union.
- International Telcommunication Union Radiocommunication Sector.
- International Telcommunication Union Telecommunication Standardization Sector.