A pre-program, first course in drafting. Basic drafting concepts, standards, conventions, and
procedures using computer-aided design (CAD) software. Designed primarily for students planning to enroll in regular-program
Architectural, Engineering and CAD Technologies (AEC) courses, but open to others as well. Content includes working with
CAD software and otherwise duplicates the content of basic manual drafting courses but without the pencil line quality,
technique, hand lettering, and other topics that technology has gradually rendered unnecessary in architectural and
engineering office practice.
|STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
|Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to...|
- Create technical drawings of correct single, orthographic, auxiliary, isometric, sectional, perspective, and developed views of simple objects from different types of views or differently oriented views of the objects.
- Create technical drawings containing lines of correct form and weight, symbols, dimensions, and labels, and with correct placement of views and appropriate scale.
- Roughly define the terms, concepts, and standards associated with the topics of the course.
- Demonstrate oral and written communication, computation, and problem-solving skills appropriate to the level of the course.
- Report to a workplace regularly and punctually, engage effectively and congenially with peers and supervisors, work from written as well as oral instructions, use class time efficiently for productive work, and meet production deadlines.
|TYPICAL COURSE CONTENT
Basic CAD Procedures
Single View Drawing
Developments and Intersections
Introduction to Architectural Drawing
- Prerequisite: none
- The course is open to all majors.
- Roughly one hour of lecture and two hours of lab per class. The class meets once a week during the fall and spring terms and twice a week during the summer term.
- The course is typically offered in the fall, spring, and summer terms.
- This is principally a lab course.
- Apart from a required textbook, the only supply needed is flash drive for storing computer files.
- View the latest course synopsis.