General Programming Language Theory
- "Scripting: Higher Level Programming for the 21st Century" by John K. Ousterhout, IEEE Computer, 31(3) 1998, pp. 23-30.
- "Are Scripting Languages Any Good? A Validation of Perl, Python, Rexx, and Tcl against C, C++, and Java" by Lutz Prechelt, Advances in Computers , 57 (Ed.: M. Zelkowitz), Academic Press, 2003, pp. 205-270.
- Learn Prolog Now! online book.
- SWI-Prolog, a free Prolog for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Version 6.6.x (stable release) is the canonical Prolog implementation for this class.
- J.R. Rsher's prolog :- tutorial
- Franz Inc.'s Allegro CL 9.0 is the canonical Common Lisp implementation for this class. I recommend you review the short "Interactive IDE Intro" under the Help menu (F6 shortcut). If you are running on Mac OS 10.10 (Yosemite), you may have to reinstall XQuartz as specified on the Franz website (I got squares instead of letters on the IDE before I updated). Also in a terminal window, run /Applications/AllegroCLexpress.app/Contents/Resources/update.sh (AllegroCLexpress.app would not start for me until I ran update.sh).
- ELM-ART interactive and adaptive tutorial for Lisp
- Practical Common Lisp free online textbook by Peter Seibel
- On Lisp free online textbook by Paul Graham
- Common Lisp the Language, 2nd Edition free online reference book for complete specifications of the Common Lisp language, by Guy L. Steele Jr.
- Python download 3.4.3 is the canonical version for this class (Python comes preinstalled on Macs, but it is typically an older 2.x version, so download the latest version -- websites warn that it is not good to delete the version of Python that comes with Mac OS X since the OS depends on it for some things, so just run /Libary/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.4/bin/python3.4 or idle3.4 directly)
- Pydev extension for developing Python on the Eclipse IDE. It is easiest to drag and drop the PyDev Install onto Eclipse from Eclipse Getting Started
- Python.org tutorial
- The Art and Craft of Programming Python Edition by John C. Lusth
- Python regular expressions
David N. Chin / Chin@Hawaii.Edu