2nd Annual

Distinctive Women in Hawaiian History

          He Ho‘olaule‘a No Nā  Mo‘olelo o Nā  Wāhine

A Celebration of Women’s History

Saturday, April 26, 2008

 
Presentation Sponsor: Kapiʻolani Community College
http://www.kcc.hawaii.edu
 
Presenter: Colette Higgins, Associate Professor of History

Arts & Humanities Department

4303 Diamond Head Road · Honolulu, Hawaii 96816                       
Email address: chiggins@hawaii.edu

Web site: http://www2.hawaii.edu/~chiggins/

(Note:  a link to an Annotated Bibliography can be found at this web site)
 
Presentation Topic:

Queen Kapiʻolani [1834-1899] Visit with the leprosy patients at Kalaupapa, Molokaʻi (1884) and the dedication of Kapiʻolani Home for Girls of leprous parents, Kakaʻako, Oʻahu (1885) 

 

Summary/Key Findings:

The Kapiʻolani Home for Girls, one of only two institutions personally established by Queen Kapiʻolani, served for 53 years those girls whose parents had leprosy.  An examination of primary sources reveals a woman who lends her time, talent, finances, and royal status to the cause of those most in need.  She does this with affection, demonstrating a truly compassionate nature, and with an attention to detail that will inspire those who oversee charitable organizations, and will earn the respect of those who are served by those institutions.

 

Recommendation For Further Reading:

Available as downloadable pdf [862 KB] through Google Books at <http://books.google.com/>.  Includes 3 photos. 

Available as downloadable pdf [2.2 MB] through Google Books at <http://books.google.com/>.

Written in 1931, the manuscript was recovered in Kalaupapa in 1932 and subsequently sent by Bishop J. Alencastre to Leuven, Belgium for storage and keeping in the Sacred Hearts Archives, St. Antoniusberg 7, B-3000 Leuven, Belgium.

Available as downloadable pdf [6.9 MB] through Google Books at <http://books.google.com/>.  Includes 4 maps & 69 illustrations.

Available in downloadable pdf [21.8 MB] through Google Books at <http://books.google.com/>.  Presidentʻs report is only 47 pages, the rest are various reports attached as appendices.  Appendix A:  Queen Kapiolani’s visit to Molokai, 1884 (written by Princess Liliʻuokalani) consists of 13 pages.  A handwritten draft of Liliʻuokalaniʻs report can be found at the Hawaii State Archives in the Kalanianaole Collection (M-80, Box 2, Folder 8 labeled Kalakaua correspondence).

Available as downloadable pdf [20.1 MB] through ProQuest at <wwwlib.umi.com/dissertations/>.  Chapter 3 is about the Kapi`olani Home for Girls (pp. 95-177).

 

Recommended Primary Sources in the Hawaiian language:

This notebook is at the Hawaii State Archives in the Kalanianaole Collection (M-80, Box 2, Folder 2 labeled Kamehameha V).  The first dozen or so pages date from 1865-1869 when Kapiʻolani served as the puʻuku (treasurer).  It seems Kapiʻolani recycled the notebook because the second half, which dates from 1884, includes:  petition from people of Kalawao noting 6 pilikia (problems), papa inoa (lists of names with age & birth place) of men, women and children, and their specific needs.  This seems to be a duplication of similar lists that Fr. Damien kept in order to manage the requests and facilitate distribution of donated clothing, and other goods, to those in need.

The originals are in the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts Archives in Louvain, Belgium.  They were translated into English by Thomas Maunapau in 1938.  Contact presenter if you’d like a copy of these letters (can be sent as a pdf attached to email).

The originals were in Therese Malaniʻs private collection in 1955.  She showed them to either Francis Larkin or Charles Davenport, who were the English translators of Vital Jourdain’s The Heart of Father Damien (original was in French).  Miss Malani translated the August 6, 1884 letter, which is included in that 1955 publication in Appendix 1 (pp. 404-405).  If you know the whereabouts of the originals, please contact the presenter.  The presenter has only been able to locate the French translation of these letters, which are in the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts Archives in Rome.