‘Umi Class Assignment
(worth 5 points)
After reading Kamakau (pp. 1-21) and viewing the Pre-Contact Hawaiian Politics outline and/or PowerPoint,
please answer these questions.
1. Describe the relationship between Hakau and 'Umi. What does it teach us about birth ranking and responsibilities?
2. Describe the characteristics or behavior of a pono chief by contrasting 'Umi with Hakau.
3. Find two examples in this story that would demonstrate the connection between politics & religion in pre-contact Hawai‘i. Briefly describe each one .
4. Find two examples of ‘imihaku in this story. Briefly describe each one.
5. Which do you think was more important in pre-contact Hawaiian politics -- birth rank or behavior? Explain your answer.