Story of ‘Umi
Use the reading by Kamakau (pp. 1-21) and the Pre-Contact Hawaiian Politics lecture powerpoint
to answer these questions.
1. Describe the relationship between Hakau and 'Umi. What does it teach us about birth ranking and responsibilities?
2. Describe the characteristics or behavior of a pono chief by contrasting 'Umi with Hakau.
3. Find two examples in this story that would demonstrate the connection between politics & religion in pre-contact Hawai‘i. Briefly describe each one .
4. Find two examples of ‘imihaku in this story. Briefly describe each one.
5. Which do you think was more important in pre-contact Hawaiian politics -- birth rank or behavior? Explain your answer.