PRESENT:Kate Acks, Pat Adams, Scott Broadbent,
Kathryn Fletcher, Pam Hoopii, Shannon Kaahanui, Diane Meyer, Suzette Robinson, Clyde
Sakamoto, Alvin Tagomori,
David Tamanaha, Dorothy Tolliver, Melissa
Yoshioka for Vaughn Baker
were reminded to send a representative to
the Executive Committee meetings when they are unable to
attend a meeting.
The intent of the community forum being held on August 13, in Pa`ina is to inform people
of our strategic plan and to seek community
input for plans and future directions.There will be fifteen facilitators.Facilitators
will be meeting on Wednesday, August 11 at Approximately 30 people
from the campus and community have confirmed their attendance thus far.Calls should be made to
inviteesearly next weekto
Biennium Budget information was distributed to
committee members via email.We still
do not know what the System is going to
recommend to the BOR. .The Board of Regents will begoing through a budget workshop this month,
after which time we should be hearing something.MCC is going forward with ABIT as our top
priority.The Governor’s budget guideliesdonot
provide for anyanynew general fund requests.
Land Grant Mission Task Group
Federal resources were allocated to
institutions around the country primarily to
promote Agriculture and community education.Question was raised as to how resources
should be redistributed. MauiLand and Pine and the Farm Bureau
did not feel that they were adequately supported.Need to look at how we might
share resources more equally in land grant.Suzette will organize a meeting to look
at instructional resource needs.It was
recommended that Ann Emmsley and James Boswell participate in the discussion
prior to the next Land Gant Mission Task Group
meeting on August 19, 2004.
from Richard Winn, Assistant Director of
the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, granting eligibility to
MCC to add the Bachelor of Applied Science
degree in Applied Business and Information Technology was distributed to
committee members.David Grooms was
commended for his hard work in completing the eligibility application.MCC can expect a visit in Spring, 2005.We will be responding to
some of the questions and concerns.An
informational meeting will be held on Monday, August 9, in Ka`a`ike 105AB.Ad
and press release have gone out with another ad going out on August 5.It was suggested that we should look at televising
the session on our MCC Channel..Mike will be
videotaping the session.Diane
will follow up
on suggestion.Pat Adams and Scott Broadbent are working with University
Relations to have brochure completed to
KHON Public Relations Opportunities
KHON is willing to come toMauito tape any
newsworthy stories regarding activities at MauiCommunity College.Some suggestions were:
Informational Session on ABIT
(Amos Conference in September)
Committee members were asked to
email other ideas to Colleen or Clyde.
Updates on Various Projects
Tamanaha, Scott Broadbent, and Clyde will be meeting
with Will Wong, swap meet manager.
ØMCC is proposing a monthly rent of
$3,250 on a 10-year lease.
ØAlso proposing caring for
maintenance of campus entrances and parking perimeter and lots.
ØWill be asking vendor to
include as in-kind the care and maintenance of the Kaahumanu and back entrances
and the back parking lot.
consider adding some kind of percentage participation after a few years.
ØWill look at scheduling swap meets
on Sundays for special events, e.g. Christmas.
ØMay need to
get Board of Regents approval because of the 10-year lease.
look at designated parking for students taking Saturday classes.
assure that swap meet vendor does not take outtoo
many trees when clearing the site.
ØIn process of setting up.
look at maintenance and clean up requirements.
ØScott Broadbent will get a count on
the number of vendors participating in the KaahumanuCenter’s Wednesday and Friday swap
ØParticipation in swap meets will be
for vendors who are selling Maui produced products
ØReviewing contract.Preliminary ok.
get first showing started the end of August.
ØMCC will receive 50% of the gross
ØPatrons will pay an average of $20
per car.A VIP section will be blocked
off.The cost for this section will be
a lot higher.
ØSound will be received via an fm
ØConcessions will be provided by
organizers.Our Culinary Arts may get involved
ØMet with Mayor and his department
heads.Received support from Mayor.
ØQuestion raised by planning director
on students driving onto
campus rather than walking even though they are housed at a close distance.
ØLooking at transportation system
from site to campus.MEO is interested in working with us to
form some kind of public transportation.
ØCounty requires two parking stalls
per unit for a 100-unit facility.
ØMCC commited to deal with any
problem areas with community.
ØEnvironmental assessment will take a
long time to complete.Will be preparing an SMA approach which will
cover the different areas that an environmental assessment would.
ØWe are on fastrack projecting to
complete constructionby Fall ’06.Development
will be delayed if we run into any problems.
ØAnother prospective private partner
is investigating the feasibility ofacquiring 4.5 acres next to
College and the Cutter Nissan parcel for commercial development on the ground
with student housing on the upper floors.Have food markets and other businesses as part of complex to
support student needs. Some
suggestions were partnering with Kinkos, Office Max, Borders,
computer stores, Subway.
Annual MCC Campus
David Tamanaha distributed copies of and reviewed the
Preliminary G-Fund and TFSF allocations. Detailed program-specific spreadsheets
were also distributed to program and unit
heads.Numbers are not firm until we hear from the
Governor and until we have all of fall enrollment revenues.The following was also noted.
ØSuzette will need to
review assessment budget.
ØFunds were set aside to
help programs unable to support APT merit
increases.It was noted that some
programs have a larger number of APT’s than others and they still may have
difficulty funding merit increases even with the set aside.
ØSome facilities use funds are being
retained to return to
PI’s who have generated funds.ORS will
be giving ideas on what we may be able to do.
ØWe have additional RDP
to support sustainable development.
look at how we can make our special and revolving funds grow.
check if promotion and tenure salary adjustments have been included.
ØNot sure of when we will be able to
get savings on electrical cost from MECO.Going through planning commission, etc.If there are any objections at any level, we will not be going forward.
ØOCET was asked to
create a chart displaying special funds activity over the last ten years.
Clyde distributed copies of a synopsis of
Deadline for the President’s Groundkeeper Award is Thursday,
August 19, 2004.Information
was distributed earlier by email.It
was requested that David Tamanaha send out a reminder email.