The Reading Room (interior)

While the Library occupied its first upper rooms on Fort Street the books were placed in numerical order on the shelves, as they were numbered on receiving in the Accession Book. On moving into the more permanent Library they were classified, the first seven letters of the alphabet each representing a class, Ethic, Religion, etc., and R. for reference books. In 1885 Queen Emma bequeathed about 600 volumes to the library. With them came a little bust of her made in Paris, seen here on top the catalog cabinet in the Book Room.

Reproducation: The Hawaiian Historical Society 560 Kawaiaho Street

In September, 1884, after raising money by various means and receiving several generous donations, the brick building on Hotel and Alakea Streets was completed and occupied.